THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Old Dec 07, 2008, 6:24pm   #1
Poker Prodigy
Brunson

Poker Prodigy is on a distinguished road
Default Staking gone bad, what can i do?

About a month and 2 weeks ago i staked someone on 2p2 for nl25. The agreement was that i would give them 500$, and they would sent me daily Poker Tracker graphs showing me their progress. Well, 28 days later, and 28 Poker Tracker graphs later, they show me that they are at 2,050$ ( so 1,550$ profit). We had agreed that at the end of the month, i would get 60% of the profits including my initial 500$ and he would keep 40%. So, i should get 500$ plus 60% of 2,050$, and he should keep 40% of 2,050$. However, the problem is that i have no heard of him in 3 weeks, and i am sure he has run off with the money. I will be contacting FTP support to get this man's information, and am tracking his IP address. I plan on pursuing this in a civil matter, and i will be contacting my lawyers soon for breach of contract and grand theft.

So i ask, am i likely to ever see my money/ get this individual behind bars for grand theft and breach of contract?

Or should i just forget it and move on?
Poker Prodigy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Dec 07, 2008, 6:57pm   #2
Jokeslayer
Wolfgame World Champion

Jokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud ofJokeslayer has much to be proud of

Shouldn't you be getting 60% of 1550 (the profit)?

I'd guess you're out of luck really. FTP are unlikely to give you someone else's info (they'll probably just tell you its your own fault) and I doubt the arrangement you had constitutes an enforceable contract (not a lawyer, probably wrong, etc.) I'd hope you got a name and email at the very least before giving away the money.

Chalk it up to experience and move on would be my advice.
Jokeslayer est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2008, 7:05pm   #3
Gus
Professional

Gus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the rough

so you dont even have his contact info ?

You stack the first guy you see on 2+2 who post some random winning graph or something like that?

Id never stack anyone I dont know, should be obvious why
to make money, the guy has to:
- win at poker while he doesnt already have a BR, even to play microstakes ( already pretty shady)
-not screw you over after he won
-not be a degen who will blow off his borrowed roll while drunk playing Ivey HU like he did with his own roll
- give you his real numbers... do you know how incredibly easy it is to make PT say you won 20$ instead of 200K$ ?

ALWAYS way -EV

Sure its nice to think hey I could make money with that portion of my roll I dont really use. If you dont know the player well tho, the risk of him being a degen/loser player/thief/etc always makes it a bad deal
Gus est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2008, 7:08pm   #4
Poker Prodigy
Brunson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
so you dont even have his contact info ?

You stack the first guy you see on 2+2 who post some random winning graph or something like that?

Id never stack anyone I dont know, should be obvious why
to make money, the guy has to:
- win at poker while he doesnt already have a BR, even to play microstakes ( already pretty shady)
-not screw you over after he won
-not be a degen who will blow off his borrowed roll while drunk playing Ivey HU like he did with his own roll
- give you his real numbers... do you know how incredibly easy it is to make PT say you won 20$ instead of 200K$ ?

ALWAYS way -EV

Sure its nice to think hey I could make money with that portion of my roll I dont really use. If you dont know the player well tho, the risk of him being a degen/loser player/thief/etc always makes it a bad deal

I see that now and i realize my mistake. I just wanted to know if i should pursue this matter, or just chalk it up like Joker said.
Old Dec 07, 2008, 7:09pm   #5
Poker Prodigy
Brunson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeslayer View Post
Shouldn't you be getting 60% of 1550 (the profit)?

I'd guess you're out of luck really. FTP are unlikely to give you someone else's info (they'll probably just tell you its your own fault) and I doubt the arrangement you had constitutes an enforceable contract (not a lawyer, probably wrong, etc.) I'd hope you got a name and email at the very least before giving away the money.

And yes, my bad.
Old Dec 07, 2008, 7:10pm   #6
Lord Mushroom
The Dark Knight

Lord Mushroom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokeslayer View Post
I doubt the arrangement you had constitutes an enforceable contract (not a lawyer, probably wrong, etc.)
I think it is an enforcable contract, a contract is just an agreement.

Quote:
I agree with this, but if he is super-pissed, I think he can get the money back by going the legal route. But he might pay more than $500 in legal expenses, plus he has to spend a lot of time on that process.
(00:42-03:27)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TibA0sQQZw8

The bot has spoken.
Lord Mushroom est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2008, 7:19pm   #7
Gus
Professional

Gus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the rough

hmmm, if its a lot of money to you, PERHAPS its worth the time, IF the fact that making him pay you is worth also a lot to you. If its only money, bah...
You will have to win first, get the proofs, go to the court etc... probably a lot of time

I think that if you win the case, you could also make him pay the legal fees ( not sure how feasible it is ) If youd have to pay your fees for some reasons, its obvvvvv not worth it
Also, the guy living 2K km from you is also very possible if you dont know already. Id bet suing someone from an other continent for a few bucks isnt worth the hassle.

Than the broke degen thief have to find a way to pay you... yeah Id give up in a second lol
Gus est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2008, 7:29pm   #8
rpark
Doyle Look-alike

rpark will become famous soon enough

If you and the person who you staked are living in two different countries then I say you are pretty much screwed trying to get the money back via the legal system.
rpark est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2008, 7:31pm   #9
DoubleU
Calling station #1

DoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think it is an enforcable contract, a contract is just an agreement.
Technically, yeah, but in practice, forget it. Unless there is more info OP withheld in his first post, like a signed copy of the staking agreement or even emails describing it. Even then it's going to be doubtful you'll get your money back, and it's probably going to cost more than the amount you're owed. I'm not a lawyer either btw, but I do have a law degree.

Quote:
When DoubleU says, "wtf, no" you should take heed.
- jimmytrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
youre thinking ship all the money to big daddy and are now thinking about how to receive that shipment
DoubleU est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2008, 7:35pm   #10
Poker Prodigy
Brunson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleU View Post
Unless there is more info OP withheld in his first post, like a signed copy of the staking agreement or even emails describing it.

The only thing i have of that nature is an aol conversation that we had where i basically told him what the agreement/ arragement was and he accepted it.