THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Old Jan 29, 2009, 8:34pm   #11
acehole_76
I found Kc...............

acehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCT View Post
What I would like to know is if any of you consider a card dead run of about 1000 hands to be abnormal. And if so, to what degree?

88 once

44 twice and no A bigger then A8

over a 1000 hands

and you want to know if your card dead

fucking morons every one of you. there isn't a man in this village that i wouldn't feed into an incinerator for no reason other than to get rid of them.

Kc
acehole_76 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jan 29, 2009, 8:39pm   #12
Gus
Professional

Gus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the roughGus is a jewel in the rough

IF you would use that time to think about usefull things related to poker, you would progress a lot quicker

what degree ? what are we supposed to answer to that lol... 4th degree of abnormality
Gus est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 8:50pm   #13
acehole_76
I found Kc...............

acehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond repute

moli has asked me to try and be nicer but I got to say it not as easy as one might think

to what degree? what does that even mean? what scale do we use for degrees of card dead?

I am going with to the bizzaro super mega ultra degree.....does that work?

fucking morons every one of you. there isn't a man in this village that i wouldn't feed into an incinerator for no reason other than to get rid of them.

Kc
acehole_76 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 9:19pm   #14
MCT
Brunson

MCT has a spectacular aura aboutMCT has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshole_76 View Post
moli has asked me to try and be nicer but I got to say it not as easy as one might think
Yes, you're quite the samaritan...

Look, you two could take me to school (Gus anyway, I don't know much about you, Ace) in a poker discussion, but I could give you guys a class or five in The Written Word 101, so fuck off being big shots, we all have our skills.

Semantics, boys. "To what degree?" is just me talking, all organic like, and trying to express myself in a way that suits my purposes and hopefully brings clear meaning to you, the audience.

What the fuck do you want from me, poker leet speak that suits all your cliquish designs?

Christ, I've explained the situation and yet you, acehole make a post that shows ignorance of the situation. And you've got the gall to start deriding me then...

I'm not wondering IF I'm card dead, because I know I am. What I AM wondering however, is if more experienced players (meaning players with more hands played and consequentially, more DATA) have had a bad luck run like this, and if so, how normal or abnormal it is in terms of frequency. For all I know I've magically escaped "starting hand variance" in the last year or so that I've been playing and right now I'm experiencing something that DOES happen from time to time.

Although it seems that before Gus started in on me he gave an opinion that this indeed is a weird occurrence.

Are you getting the picture now? Or are you still not reading? Can you even read?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asshole_76 View Post
to what degree? what does that even mean? what scale do we use for degrees of card dead?

I am going with to the bizzaro super mega ultra degree.....does that work?
To touch on this more directly, to avoid further confusion, I'm neither referring to a "scale" or thinking that one exists.

What I meant was, if a 1000 hand run of being card dead is abnormal, then how abnormal is it? A simple, "it is strange, yes, but it's been known to happen," or some equivalent response based on your experience would have been sufficient and within the realm of acceptability. Something your little tirade wasn't, I might add.
MCT est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 9:37pm   #15
joeyjoejoejr
Professional

joeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud of

Ill put it this way... the chances of not being dealt A9-AK over 1000 hands is significantly less then the chances of someone exagarating while posting on a internet forum
joeyjoejoejr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:15pm   #16
MCT
Brunson

And here I thought I was pretty sensible compared to most new members...

Ok. Please point out what you found to be indicative of exaggeration in my initial posts.

I hardly ever post, and when I do it's because I've run into something that I want to hear you guys speak your brains on. So first off, I'm not a good candidate for the type of forum personality you're accusing me of being.

Secondly, I start this thread by declaring (and this is a solid approximation) that over the course of 5 days I have played around 500-800 hands at one particular card room. This is low for me, so I feel the need to explain why I've only played this many hands. I start by letting you know what I play (SNG's, primarily) so my naturally lower than a cash player's rate of hands is accounted for. I then go on to account even further for my low rate of hands by letting you know that I've been sick.

Then I give my overall hands played at said card room (25000) and say that in my experience, I've never seen this before. Figuring this is sufficient, I ask for thoughts and post the fuckin' thing.

There is slight confusion and I end up rounding my number of hands up to 1000 for the sake of generic clarity. I also try to better explain the situation and what it is I'm after, and apparently I'm a moron who people have to try very hard to be nice to.

And now I'm full of shit. Haha.

I think the problem is that you guys are skimming as opposed to say, perusing. Because in a big picture sense, I don't think I've said anything to warrant what some of you are saying. Meaning that snippets are being taken out of context.

If you don't believe that over a minimum of 500 and a maximum of 800 hands the best that I've been dealt is pocket 8's, then stay out of the goddamn thread. If I'm such an attention seeking loser then why in the world would you bother with me? Ignoring me would be more effective in attaining your goal, right? Merely saying that I'm an inconsequential moron can't be nearly as effective as acting like I'm one.

Last edited by MCT; Jan 29, 2009 at 10:18pm.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:26pm   #17
joeyjoejoejr
Professional

joeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud ofjoeyjoejoejr has much to be proud of

You should get 99+ or A9+ 8.7% of the time
The chances of not getting them at least once over 500 hands is about:
99.99999999999999999984%

So yes its rare

edit
I could believe that you didnt get a pocket pair over 8's but it really is almost impossible not to get a decent offsuit ace...

Last edited by joeyjoejoejr; Jan 29, 2009 at 10:30pm.
joeyjoejoejr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:46pm   #18
MCT
Brunson

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjoejoejr View Post
I could believe that you didnt get a pocket pair over 8's but it really is almost impossible not to get a decent offsuit ace...
Well that's fine, dude, you haven't got to. I'll tell you one thing though, if I was dealt A10o UTG in a 10 seat, I would have pushed preflop just out of excitement...
Old Jan 29, 2009, 10:49pm   #19
Boilermaker
Get off my lawn

Boilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjoejoejr View Post
You should get 99+ or A9+ 8.7% of the time
The chances of not getting them at least once over 500 hands is about:
99.99999999999999999984%

So yes its rare

edit
lol. I thought you were being facetious but that is the actual calculation! Nice. If you multiply it by the number of hands run at Stars during their existence there is something like a 1 in a trillion chance that this would have ever happened at Stars to anybody.

Not getting a pp>88 is still 1 in a million.
Boilermaker est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2009, 12:18am   #20
Snaggle
Professional

Snaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to behold
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

well 1k dry hands has happened to be more than once; but then I've also had nine royal flushes. I usually break even with bluffs when cold decked like that. It's much better to cold decked than it is to get great pockets and have when all sucked out over 1K hands. Or to go Ai with AA 25 times and KK 5 times preflop and win only 3 times-that still hurts and right now AK and Aks are massively negative over 50k hands-shit happens-why one has a bankroll

Why do people keep typing "GG" when I go AI in the short stack with 72o?
Snaggle est déconnecté   Reply With Quote