THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Feb 17, 2009, 5:54pm   #1
SGT RJ
Fish

SGT RJ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default When in Vegas...

I'm going to be headed back to Vegas in about a month, and I was looking to get opinions on the best games to play, specifically tournaments. I've been playing seriously for about five months now, mostly online, and mostly SNG and MTTs with some decent results, for a beginner. Tournaments seem to fit my temperment and style of play better, so that's where I'll probably focus my time in Vegas (which will run from Friday afternoon through Sunday). If I do play cash games, it will be low stakes and with tight play to counteract my relative lack of experience/comfort with cash games.

Anyway, what do you think the best tournaments are for someone who is not quite a donk but not very advanced? I'm looking to steer clear of ones with rebuys and turbo blinds. I have a basic grasp of the fundamentals - pot odds, position, M relative to the blinds and antes - but I need to know what tournaments would give me a fighting chance and which would be too advanced for me at this stage. I'd be dead meat at a table with pros, but I tend towards a tighter, more grinding style and was hoping for anyone with plenty of Vegas knowledge to steer me in the right direction. Oh, and I'd probably want to keep total buy-in cost to $200 or less. Thanks.

SGT RJ
SGT RJ est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Feb 21, 2009, 8:41pm   #2
staphros
Wolf Game LVP

staphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forum. This post maybe better in the general area - ask a mod (twllm/2mm) and they maybe able to move it for you.

Most of the regulars don't check this area as much as they used to do.
Its usually real basic questions and stratergy that goes here.

Anyway if you don't get an answer don't give up on the forum.

NB - i've never played live in vegas so i can't help you here
staphros est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:55pm   #3
Seb47
Professional

Seb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Seb47
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

http://www.lasvegasvegas.com/poker/tournaments.php

This site should get you started and give you a good overview of vegas tournaments.

Keep in mind that low stakes vegas tournament are aimed at recreational players who have a couple hours to kill before meeting their wife/friends/hoockers. The structure is generally very bad and the rake + mandatory tips deducted from prize pool + optional tips will eat most if not all your profit, even if you are a strong winning player.

Tournament are not the way to make money in LV, some of them (mainly off the strip) are somewhat good (I heard the orleans had some) but dont expect to play anything else than a 60+10+5 and an average M > 10 after the first hour.
Seb47 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:23pm   #4
JJS6866
Grinder

JJS6866 is just really niceJJS6866 is just really niceJJS6866 is just really niceJJS6866 is just really niceJJS6866 is just really nice
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb47 View Post
http://www.lasvegasvegas.com/poker/tournaments.php

This site should get you started and give you a good overview of vegas tournaments.

Keep in mind that low stakes vegas tournament are aimed at recreational players who have a couple hours to kill before meeting their wife/friends/hoockers. The structure is generally very bad and the rake + mandatory tips deducted from prize pool + optional tips will eat most if not all your profit, even if you are a strong winning player.

Tournament are not the way to make money in LV, some of them (mainly off the strip) are somewhat good (I heard the orleans had some) but dont expect to play anything else than a 60+10+5 and an average M > 10 after the first hour.

Two different people post on your account ADMIT IT!
JJS6866 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:28pm   #5
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Keep in mind that low stakes vegas tournament are aimed at recreational players who have a couple hours to kill before meeting their wife/friends/hoockers.
Hoocker (noun): a person who has sex in exchange for pawn items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleU
Oh, and obviously, TWLLM, we'd all rather you just ruled with an iron fist of nittiness and made all decisions without consultation, but that goes without saying, right?
TWLLM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 12:42am   #6
Seb47
Professional

Seb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to beholdSeb47 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to Seb47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWLLM View Post
Hoocker (noun): a person who has sex in exchange for pawn items.
I am sure there is a joke somewhere but I dont get it
Seb47 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 1:25am   #7
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I am sure there is a joke somewhere but I dont get it
It's probably a language barrier. To "hock" something is to pawn it (trading it in at a pawn shop). So when you referred to a hooker as a "hoocker", I made the nit joke that this was a hooker who had sex for pawn items instead of $. It's really not all that funny, but it was kinda clever for a nit at least.

Quote:
Oh, and obviously, TWLLM, we'd all rather you just ruled with an iron fist of nittiness and made all decisions without consultation, but that goes without saying, right?
Old Feb 22, 2009, 1:34am   #8
TJTay89
I am a wolf

TJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant future

I thought it was good!
TJTay89 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2009, 2:46am   #9
TWLLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJTay89 View Post
I thought it was good!
Thanks. It's nice to be appreciated every now and then. I'm glad to hear that someone other than me gets the joke.

Quote:
Old Feb 22, 2009, 3:00am   #10
bluesjack9
Professional

bluesjack9 is a name known to allbluesjack9 is a name known to allbluesjack9 is a name known to allbluesjack9 is a name known to allbluesjack9 is a name known to allbluesjack9 is a name known to all

well I'm sure no one would go to Vegas looking for hookers right? So back on topic.

If your looking for a well run tourny with a decent structure (reasonable buy in, decent payout percentage, amount of starting chips, blinds that don't increase too fast and sexy waitresses) I think the nightly Tourney's at the Orleans are your best bang for the buck.

And hit the Prime Rib Loft there pre tourny for a good meal at a reasonable price
bluesjack9 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote