THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Mar 04, 2009, 9:56pm   #1
MCT
Brunson

MCT has a spectacular aura aboutMCT has a spectacular aura about
Default Tough spot with KK. Or is it?

First hand of a $2.50 + .25 DON at Lucky Ace. I'm dealt KK UTG and decide to telegraph it with a 4x raise, being more than happy to take down the blinds and get out of a dangerous situation. I get one caller from mid position (probably has a decent A) and then an instant all-in from the next seat. It folds back to me. I have to call, right?

At these stakes I have to assign him a pretty wide range, right? Plus, there's only one hand that can beat me. So I'm more than likely getting my money in while ahead.

But I have no information on this guy. He could have AA, but I'm thinking more like Q's or J's (at best), all things considered. Then there's the possibility of the initial caller (who more than likely does have an A) deciding to tag along with his evil outs.

No decision, or consider folding?
MCT est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 04, 2009, 10:24pm   #2
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Instant super snap call.

Fistpump even.

It's a $2 MTT lol, JJ+/AK is the nuts on the first hand, let alone KK

If you were 300bb deep and the buy-in was $75 then this is a lot more marginal.

Don't even think about folding kings here.

SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2009, 11:20pm   #3
kmay06
Professional

kmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCT View Post
First hand of a $2.50 + .25 DON at Lucky Ace. I'm dealt KK UTG and decide to telegraph it with a 4x raise, being more than happy to take down the blinds and get out of a dangerous situation.
Get out of this frame of mind. This isn't a dangerous situation, it's a good one. Even if you get three callers, chances are you are going to be ahead on the flop still. Overpairs are only dangerous when you don't know how to let them go when you are beat.
Old Mar 05, 2009, 12:07am   #4
darryl
Still can't quit day job.

darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

This is a $2.25 double or nothing. Play is atrocious. Super snap call.
I'm guessing you posted because the guy had aces. It happens, but you are way ahead to call.

-d
darryl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2009, 12:32am   #5
Got 6 Aces
Unprofessional

Got 6 Aces will become famous soon enoughGot 6 Aces will become famous soon enough

I agree with KMay. Learning to play hands OOP is a massive part of the game and being in the frame of mind to be worried when you're playing a hand as good as kings isn't great.

As for the hand, it's a super double fist pumping mega call with a little woo-hoo on the end
Old Mar 05, 2009, 3:42am   #6
MCT
Brunson

MCT has a spectacular aura aboutMCT has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice, especially the unsolicited stuff. I mean that in a good way btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl
This is a $2.25 double or nothing. Play is atrocious. Super snap call.
I'm guessing you posted because the guy had aces. It happens, but you are way ahead to call.
Yeeah the level of play is nasty. One of my reasons for calling at the time. But hey, I'm playing out the free $10, so...

As for posting, I just wanted an experienced appraisal. Because after losing the hand (I'll get to that in a sec) I began to question if I made the correct play.

I'm trying not to be results oriented and to be happy with knowing and then making the correct play regardless of the outcome. But when I go down to an opponent's weaker holdings in situations like this, not being results oriented can be difficult. Especially considering the payout structure of the tourney, which was a double or nothing, meaning that I'm even less interested in confrontation in the early stages than I am in a regular tourney.

Anyway, he had 10's. Hit a set on the flop.
MCT est déconnecté   Reply With Quote