THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > The Rail

Old Dec 01, 2009, 9:16pm   #1
Mr Beaks
Don't got it going on

Mr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really nice
Default Calling All Runners - Help Needed!

I appear to have committed myself to running a half marathon at the end of March next year. I dodged it last March but have been cornered into it by 2 other friends who are running it making me look like some kind of poof in front of our wives over dinner one night. I'm wondering if anyone has any links to good running guides that will take me from zero to 13+ miles in 3 months.

Basics of the matter are that I'm 38 years old, 6'3" and 200lb, so slightly heavy but not really overweight. Thing is I haven't really done any regular exercise for years so I need to go slowly and build up gradually otherwise I'll have a massive fucking heart attack and orphan my kids. I can probably run for about 15 minutes without coughing up a lung.

Any thoughts on where to start?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Dec 01, 2009, 10:02pm   #2
Hustlr
║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║

Hustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Hustlr Send a message via AIM to Hustlr

Couch to 5k
Not sure about your ability. This one is for people that have never run before or haven't for a long time. It starts off in gradual increments of running and walking, which might be where you want to start. The first couple weeks should just be getting your body used to running, otherwise you will get really burned out mentally or develop some annoying injuries like shin splints. I've helped a few people start from absolutely no running experience to get ready for their first 5k. This program worked pretty well. If it's too easy starting out, either increase your running interval time or add on more running intervals to your workout.

Half Marathon Training Schedule
This one is a pretty decent guide to training and gradually increasing your mileage to reach the 13 miles. Most guides are going to suggest running a total of four times per week in order to get to half marathon ability within 2.5-3 months. This is assuming you can go out and jog 2 miles or so. If you aren't quite to that point yet, you can start wherever you feel like on the Couch to 5k regimen until you can go for 2 miles without walking.

Another similar Half Marathon guide
Pretty close to the one above. 4 running days per week, with one of those being a light "recovery" jog. This site also has a ton of links on their main page to other running sites and marathon / half marathon training blogs.

Last edited by Hustlr; Dec 01, 2009 at 10:04pm.
Hustlr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 01, 2009, 10:09pm   #3
Hustlr
║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║

Hustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Hustlr Send a message via AIM to Hustlr

Also, go out and get a good pair of running shoes at a serious running / sporting type shoe store where they actually measure your feet and look at things like your arch and if you over/under pronate. You might spend over $100 on a pair of shoes, but if you are serious about running regularly it's well worth it.

I ran for years before I found a place that measured the difference in my arch from sitting to standing and found out I am really flat-footed. I had been wearing the wrong shoes for a long time. My back hurt for as long as I could remember. I just kind of got used to it. Switching to the right shoes made a world of difference.
Hustlr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2009, 12:40am   #4
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

you were worried about looking like a poof, so you chickened out and did the thing you were being peer pressured into?

what you should have done is made sure you could do the whatever it was while maintaining an air of reluctance, and got your friends to bet you you can't.

Kc
Old Dec 02, 2009, 7:00am   #5
2muchMONEY
[♥] PTips

2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to 2muchMONEY Send a message via AIM to 2muchMONEY Send a message via Yahoo to 2muchMONEY
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

i think we need queenie here

By the Way , war ich in Uruguay hob von dort mein anderes Verhalten
-forum spammer

2muchMONEY est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2009, 9:00am   #6
Red4Eva
Grinder

Red4Eva is a splendid one to beholdRed4Eva is a splendid one to beholdRed4Eva is a splendid one to beholdRed4Eva is a splendid one to beholdRed4Eva is a splendid one to beholdRed4Eva is a splendid one to behold

i ran a 6:18 mile in sixth grade.. since then i started smoking

that is all
Red4Eva est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2009, 9:40am   #7
Mr Beaks
Don't got it going on

Mr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlr View Post
Also, go out and get a good pair of running shoes at a serious running / sporting type shoe store where they actually measure your feet and look at things like your arch and if you over/under pronate. You might spend over $100 on a pair of shoes, but if you are serious about running regularly it's well worth it.

I ran for years before I found a place that measured the difference in my arch from sitting to standing and found out I am really flat-footed. I had been wearing the wrong shoes for a long time. My back hurt for as long as I could remember. I just kind of got used to it. Switching to the right shoes made a world of difference.
Thanks for the help Hustlr, and for the great links. Also the running shoe tip is really useful - I am incredibly flat-footed too (I have no arch whatsoever, absolutely none) so good shoes are first on the list.
Old Dec 02, 2009, 9:41am   #8
Mr Beaks
Don't got it going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
you were worried about looking like a poof, so you chickened out and did the thing you were being peer pressured into?
3 bottles of red wine will make you do a lot of dumb shit.
Old Dec 02, 2009, 9:48am   #9
BubbleBoy
BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

training cardio only is not that good and will lead to short term results

I'd advise doing a strength program first, or at least on the side

How many push ups / pull ups can you do right now? If the answer is <5 on either, def start training your muscles before you start running like forrest.

Maybe look into this site, there's good basic strength training.

BubbleBoy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 02, 2009, 10:17am   #10
DoubleU
Calling station #1

DoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond repute

Good shoes are a must. If you don't spend serious money on them and take your time to get advice and pick a proper pair, you'll definitely regret it down the line. Your best bet is, as Hustlr said, a specialized running store. I dunno what chains operate in the UK, but I'm sure you do. I'm flat-footed too FWIW, so there is still hope for you

Also, a site like this has a lot of potentially useful information.

A final word of advice: heavy partying/drinking (especially at your age ) will set you back and frustrate your progress. I don't run 4 times a week, but if I have been out partying two or three times in between two running days, there's an immediately noticeable difference.

Try and avoid shin splints. My dad got that because he overtrained (imo), and it took a pretty long time to fully overcome it.

Also, keep us posted on your progress!

Quote:
When DoubleU says, "wtf, no" you should take heed.
- jimmytrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
youre thinking ship all the money to big daddy and are now thinking about how to receive that shipment
DoubleU est déconnecté   Reply With Quote