THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > The Rail

Old Dec 02, 2009, 3:33pm   #11
Maddox_23
Grinder

Maddox_23 is a splendid one to beholdMaddox_23 is a splendid one to beholdMaddox_23 is a splendid one to beholdMaddox_23 is a splendid one to beholdMaddox_23 is a splendid one to beholdMaddox_23 is a splendid one to behold

best of luck...im curious to see the results...but as an athlete im gonna tell you, 3 months is very short time to get in shape man! however, DO IT!!!
Maddox_23 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Dec 02, 2009, 3:53pm   #12
Mr Beaks
Don't got it going on

Mr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really nice

Damn, this is going to be hard isn't it? Well, I need a challenge and I need to have something that will get me going again or else I'm going to be dead before I hit 50.

The plan therefore, is this.

1. Get the running shoes sorted out this week
  2. Spend the time up until Christmas improving basic levels of fitness - some running and gym work etc.
  3. Implement Hustlr's Basic Half Marathon Training Schedule from the New Year
  4. Race on March 28th
  5. Hope not to die before, during or immediately after the race
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll post regular (but not frequent) updates in this thread so you can all laugh at me.
Old Dec 02, 2009, 10:44pm   #13
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

have you chosen the music for your training montage yet?

cyndi lauper is a good bet, particularly if you can get someone to follow behind you with some kind of portable noise apparatus, you'll be well motivated to run the fuck away from them as fast as possible. alanis morrisette also works.

Kc
Old Dec 05, 2009, 12:45am   #14
Mr Beaks
Don't got it going on

Mr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really nice

OK, first stage completed. Bought some decent Asics runing shoes and went out on my first run, just a couple of miles this evening. Went OK but I am now realising that 13 miles is going to be tough. Gotta stick to the schedule.

Training montage selected and includes some Faith No More, some Foo Fighters and some pretty good driving pop (Razzamatazz by Pulp bringing me home)

Next post in a week or so when I hope to be up to 3-4 miles.
Old Dec 05, 2009, 6:01am   #15
kmay06
Professional

kmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant future

Best advice I can give you, is that your cardio won't be your limiting factor unless you need to make a certain time. The best thing you can do is get your joints/muscles up for the job. Start supplementing your training with basic leg strength exercises, especially your calves. Also, if you are doing a fairly long run and you notice you a joint or something hurting, take it easy. With only 3 months you can't afford to get hurt.

Also, on long runs I'd advice getting running tape, taping between your legs, around various spots on toes/feet, and possible nipples/underarms. Your skin will thank you.

Oh, and if you run on say, tues/thurs/sat, then on mon/wed/fri try to do some strength training for your upper body as well. Doesn't have to be alot, but it will help you get your cardio up faster and drop a little extra fat.
Old Dec 05, 2009, 8:05am   #16
Mr Beaks
Don't got it going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmay06 View Post
Best advice I can give you, is that your cardio won't be your limiting factor unless you need to make a certain time. The best thing you can do is get your joints/muscles up for the job. Start supplementing your training with basic leg strength exercises, especially your calves. Also, if you are doing a fairly long run and you notice you a joint or something hurting, take it easy. With only 3 months you can't afford to get hurt.

Also, on long runs I'd advice getting running tape, taping between your legs, around various spots on toes/feet, and possible nipples/underarms. Your skin will thank you.

Oh, and if you run on say, tues/thurs/sat, then on mon/wed/fri try to do some strength training for your upper body as well. Doesn't have to be alot, but it will help you get your cardio up faster and drop a little extra fat.
Great advice, thanks for this.
Old Dec 06, 2009, 5:11pm   #17
Hustlr
║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║

Hustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Hustlr Send a message via AIM to Hustlr

Don't for get to warm up properly before running and definitely stretch a little after running.
Hustlr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2009, 12:30am   #18
evandijk70
Brunson

evandijk70 has a spectacular aura aboutevandijk70 has a spectacular aura aboutevandijk70 has a spectacular aura about
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Already a lot of good advice in this thread, just my 5 cents:

- Don't try to push it too hard every training. It can be demotivating to be exhausted every time you did a workout. Especially on the longer runs, don't take it to hard on yourself, because it will affect your next training.

- I would also do a 10 km race or something half way, so you have a goal to train toward that's not too distant. This has the added advantage that you know a bit what to expect from your half marathon.

- Also, make sure you get at least a few 10 mile runs in before you do the half marathon. It may seem like really easy advice, but my experience is that the half marathon is a totally different beast than 10 miles, having run both a few times. The last 3 miles were quite heavy for me every time in the half marathon. If you already ran a few miles now, half a marathon in 3 months should be achievable though.

If you get through the first couple of weeks or so, you'll notice you start liking running a lot better.

Good luck ;)
evandijk70 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2009, 3:19am   #19
Hustlr
║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║

Hustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Hustlr Send a message via AIM to Hustlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beaks View Post
OK, first stage completed. Bought some decent Asics runing shoes and went out on my first run, just a couple of miles this evening. Went OK but I am now realising that 13 miles is going to be tough. Gotta stick to the schedule.

Training montage selected and includes some Faith No More, some Foo Fighters and some pretty good driving pop (Razzamatazz by Pulp bringing me home)

Next post in a week or so when I hope to be up to 3-4 miles.
At least you can go out and run a couple miles. You are ahead of a few people I've known that have taken on a similar challenge.

Keep up the good work.
Hustlr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 8:50pm   #20
Mr Beaks
Don't got it going on

Update on progress.

In spite of the shitty weather here in the UK over the last 2-3 weeks I have managed to keep my programme going through rain and snow.

The advice ITT has really been paying off so thanks to everyone. I'm in week 5 of my formal training plan and today I ran for just over 4 miles in 40 minutes, which is pretty much on target for the plan I'm following and is officially the farthest I've ever run without stopping. Feeling quite pleased with myself, although at the age of 38 that's a definite beat!

I felt OK at the end of the run but what is clear that people who have been saying that the cardio isn't the limiting factor are bang on the money. My lungs were fine today and I recovered to normal breathing in just a few minutes but my legs are aching like mad and I was definitely feeling a bit weak on the way round. Need to step up the core strength training.

10 weeks until the race. I hope to be up to about 6 miles in another 2 to 3 weeks to keep on pace.