THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > The Rail

Old Jan 17, 2010, 8:36pm   #21
kmay06
Professional

kmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beaks View Post
Update on progress.

In spite of the shitty weather here in the UK over the last 2-3 weeks I have managed to keep my programme going through rain and snow.

The advice ITT has really been paying off so thanks to everyone. I'm in week 5 of my formal training plan and today I ran for just over 4 miles in 40 minutes, which is pretty much on target for the plan I'm following and is officially the farthest I've ever run without stopping. Feeling quite pleased with myself, although at the age of 38 that's a definite beat!

I felt OK at the end of the run but what is clear that people who have been saying that the cardio isn't the limiting factor are bang on the money. My lungs were fine today and I recovered to normal breathing in just a few minutes but my legs are aching like mad and I was definitely feeling a bit weak on the way round. Need to step up the core strength training.

10 weeks until the race. I hope to be up to about 6 miles in another 2 to 3 weeks to keep on pace.
Nice, gj. Running 4 miles at age 38 def isn't a beat. Most men give up physical activity after their twenties.

And now that you have your cardio going strong, def make sure to work your calfs and shin muscles (just something simple like rocking up on your toes, then back down to your heals with toes in the air, then back, going slowly). That usually starts to get pretty bad around the 6-7 mile mark since the constant strain inflames that area (shin splints). Also, stretch your hips like mad. Not before a run necessarily, just all the time, at least once a day. Muscle soreness you get over as your legs get stronger, but if you fuck up some tendons or get shin splints you are out of commission for months sometimes.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Feb 14, 2010, 4:58pm   #22
Mr Beaks
Don't got it going on

Mr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really nice

Update: With 6 weeks to go until the race I'm up to 6.5 miles, so effectively halfway with 6 weeks left. My 6 miler today was actually pretty comfortable and the addition of isotonic drinks before and during the run seems to be helping.

Keeping up 3-4 sessions a week is hard because I have a pretty time-consuming job and 2 kids, but I've decided to run for charity, which is helping the motivation. 4 years ago my father-in-law died of lung cancer. The day of the race would have been his 80th birthday so I'm running for the hospice where he spent his final week. So far I've managed to raise about £900 so hopeful of doing something good for them.

P.S. Kmay, thanks for the stretching tips - ankle and hip problems definitely improving
Old Mar 07, 2010, 8:58pm   #23
Mr Beaks
Don't got it going on

Mr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really niceMr Beaks is just really nice

With 3 weeks to go to the half marathon I ran 9 miles this morning, which I'm very pleased with. I ache like a bastard though, and am experiencing some chafing, but aside from that I'm really happy. Aiming for 10 - 11 miles next weekend and then I'll wind it down for a couple of weeks before the race.

Next post after race day!
Old Mar 07, 2010, 9:43pm   #24
darryl
Still can't quit day job.

darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

There are some anti chafing things you can get. I think they look like deodorant sticks that you rub on where you normally chafe. I haven't needed to use them, but I know it's helped other people.

-d
darryl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2010, 8:14am   #25
Mr Beaks
Don't got it going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
I haven't needed to use them
Maybe you don't have chubby thighs
Old Mar 08, 2010, 12:30pm   #26
darryl
Still can't quit day job.

darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

I'm working on it. Actually though I haven't run much in years. I've been biking way more though. As long as I have on bike shorts, I'm good though. Bike shorts minus the crotch padding may work for you too btw.

-d
darryl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2010, 5:53pm   #27
queenie5
whore

queenie5 is a jewel in the roughqueenie5 is a jewel in the roughqueenie5 is a jewel in the roughqueenie5 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to queenie5 Send a message via Yahoo to queenie5

So sorry I never saw this. For chaffing, there is bodyglide, sportslick, or just plain vaseoline. I run between 60-90 miles a week so if you have any questions just shoot them out there. I do mainly marathons, but there are 5ks, halfs, and ultras in the mix too. I run a lot.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:31pm   #28
Hustlr
║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║

Hustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Hustlr Send a message via AIM to Hustlr

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie5 View Post
So sorry I never saw this. For chaffing, there is bodyglide, sportslick, or just plain vaseoline. I run between 60-90 miles a week so if you have any questions just shoot them out there. I do mainly marathons, but there are 5ks, halfs, and ultras in the mix too. I run a lot.
Holy shit....60-90 miles a week. On a heavy running week for me, I might put in 25 miles. I usually keep my running around 4 to 5 mile runs with one 7 miler I do with a running group whenever I can make it.

I've done a few half marathons. Would like to do a full marathon, but putting in the proper training volume is a bitch
Hustlr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:36am   #29
Mr Beaks
Don't got it going on

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenie5 View Post
I run between 60-90 miles a week
Yoinks Scoob!

Hi Queenie - great to have you in the thread. I do have a couple of questions actually, and they're now mainly about preparation for the race itself. So I'm now up to 10 miles and I have just under 2 weeks to go so I figure I'm sort of ready. I'll do a couple of 7-8 milers this week and then just some short runs next week before the race.

I was wondering about preparation for the previous day or two in order to be on prime form. I've not really nailed what makes a run easier or more difficult yet and that bothers me. Some days I can run long distances without a problem and sometimes 5 miles is a struggle. I figure it must be nutrition -when I did my 10 mile run I had a big carb meal the night before and a huge bowl of porridge oats 2 hours before I ran and it went well.

So, if the race is 10.30am on Sunday how and what should I be eating and drinking from when I get up on Saturday morning with 24 hours to go?

Thanks!
Old Mar 15, 2010, 4:57pm   #30
queenie5
whore

queenie5 is a jewel in the roughqueenie5 is a jewel in the roughqueenie5 is a jewel in the roughqueenie5 is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to queenie5 Send a message via Yahoo to queenie5

I usually eat 3 hours before a race. I want fruit and carbs, so like a bagel or toast with a banana. Add orange juice and I have breakfast.

For guys, they say carb loading is good. Start 2 or 3 days out from race day. Pick your poison. Some eat tons of pasta, I prefer rice and breads. Honesty, this does work a bit for me, but they say for chicks, we have to eat twice as much for half the benefit. Make sure to keep some fruit in the mix for some fiber and natural sugars. That way you can poop before you race.

If they have gels on the course on race day, steer clear of anything you have not trained with. Also, be aware that gels are pretty notorious for causing diarrhea post-race. Seriously, if I use gels in a marathon, I plan on being close to a potty the next day.

Check to see if you can handle the course sports drink. Although for a half, just taking water should be fine.

Make sure you have your bodyglide or whatever body lube you picked in your race bag, You want to throw that on pre-race. Any areas that chaffed in training can chaff even more on race day.

Let's see, for a half, don't worry too much. By the time it starts to really hurt, the finish line pops up.

On a side note, if I ever make it to a marathon in Europe, I will try to give you guys a heads up. I do want to do the London Marathon sometime. Maybe Paris too. Heh.