Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > The Rail

View Poll Results: Is .999~= 1 ?
Yes 19 59.38%
No 13 40.63%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 09, 2010, 3:02am   #11
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

1=1

0.999~ = 0.999~

imo

SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Feb 09, 2010, 3:15am   #12
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

My analogy here is ~9999=1 in the same way that the effective nuts equals the nuts in poker

SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2010, 3:39am   #13
WaxHaX0rS
Thread Killer

WaxHaX0rS has a spectacular aura aboutWaxHaX0rS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
FWIW, I just clicked "Edit" to edit my post. Must be a setting that it won't reflect an edited timestamp if it's a mod who edits their own post. Who knows, VBB is as complicated as infinity sometimes.
I'm pretty sure there is a time limit after you submit your post where you can edit without it giving a timestamp.

edit: see?
WaxHaX0rS est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 09, 2010, 5:21am   #14
the_fox31
Resident Fox

the_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud of

The time limit for normal posters is a couple minutes. Ozone says he took a shower between post and edit. So either his time limit is much longer or doesn't exist. Either way,

meh?
Old Feb 09, 2010, 5:25am   #15
the_fox31
Resident Fox

the_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwoopAE View Post
My analogy here is ~9999=1 in the same way that the effective nuts equals the nuts in poker
OK, think about it this way then.

How often will you lose if you have a 0.999... chance of winning? You can run the hand an infinite number of times if you like, and you will still never lose (unless you're TWLLM obviously). Because as my second example says, there is literally (and here I literally mean literally)no difference between that and a 100% chance of winning (the difference is 0).
Old Feb 09, 2010, 6:12am   #16
WaxHaX0rS
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fox31 View Post
The time limit for normal posters is a couple minutes. Ozone says he took a shower between post and edit. So either his time limit is much longer or doesn't exist. Either way,

meh?
Oh true, I didn't really read his post.
Old Feb 09, 2010, 6:20am   #17
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

fuck this shit i'm just going to quote shitopedia. anyone who's read this far down the thread without stating their opinion and then changes it after reading this is full of shit. sure we won't know either way, but baby jesus knows, and he will fuck you bitches up.

"In mathematics, the repeating decimal 0.999… denotes a real number equal to the number one. In other words, the notations 0.999… and 1 represent the same number within the real number system. Proofs of this equality have been formulated with varying degrees of mathematical rigour, taking into account preferred development of the real numbers, background assumptions, historical context, and target audience.

For simplicity, the terminating decimal is almost always the preferred representation, contributing to a misconception that it is the only representation.

The 0.999...=1 equality has long been accepted by professional mathematicians and taught in textbooks. In the last few decades, researchers of mathematics education have studied the reception of this equality among students, many of whom initially question or reject this equality. Many are persuaded by an appeal to authority from textbooks and teachers, or by arithmetic reasoning as below to accept that the two are equal and pi is exactly three. However, some are often uneasy enough that they seek further justification. The students' reasoning for denying or affirming the equality is typically based on one of a few common errors triggered by counterintuitive behavior of the real numbers; for example that each real number has a unique decimal expansion, that nonzero infinitesimal real numbers should exist, or that the expansion of 0.999… eventually terminates."

Kc
Old Feb 09, 2010, 6:46am   #18
Feroc
River Pirate

Feroc has a reputation beyond reputeFeroc has a reputation beyond reputeFeroc has a reputation beyond reputeFeroc has a reputation beyond reputeFeroc has a reputation beyond reputeFeroc has a reputation beyond reputeFeroc has a reputation beyond reputeFeroc has a reputation beyond reputeFeroc has a reputation beyond reputeFeroc has a reputation beyond reputeFeroc has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to Feroc
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

I voted "no".

1 = 1
0.999... = 0.999...

There may be no difference, but if 0.999... would be 1, than it would be 1. ;)

But if Kcs text is right, then I might be wrong.
Old Feb 09, 2010, 7:09am   #19
WaxHaX0rS
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
pi is exactly three.
That was random.
Old Feb 09, 2010, 7:10am   #20
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

I'm interested in knowing to what integer 3.333333... and 4.444444... are equal.

My own views on the original question posed, might be summarized this way:

.999999... =/= 1 is a distinction without a difference.

.999999... = 1 is a difference without a distinction.

I don't find the debate all that interesting since the idea of a 'repeating decimal' is a concept created to fill a logical/practical gap, so I imagine the answer (one way or the other) is a product of this fact rather than some deep intellectual principle.

What interests me more is what people think about 1/infinity = 0. Infinity is more interesting because it is a concept created for its own intellectual purposes and not just to fill a gap or achieve practical purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleU
Oh, and obviously, TWLLM, we'd all rather you just ruled with an iron fist of nittiness and made all decisions without consultation, but that goes without saying, right?
TWLLM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote