THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Old May 14, 2010, 11:45pm   #1
Superpasha69
River Rat

Superpasha69 is on a distinguished road
Default Tournamnet play. Late stage

Hi again, I find the advice u guys give me very useful so here i am again asking for more))

When i play in tournaments i realised that i always end up blowing my chances in the late stages of the tournament...i always tend to get my self in trouble with one silly hand or folding a good hand coz of fear of going out...i was just playin one tourney and i was in top10 with about 100 people to go...but then the cards stoped coming and the blinds kept eating...what would you advice be here...as in my other thread u guys advised me against bluffing, at a later stage like that what range of hands do i begin to play?

also tell me if this was bad play from my part..the tourney had 40 ppl left and i had about 15bb...i got A5s so i decided to steal(my position was good) i bet 3bb...flop was 365 guy checked so i bet an other 3BB he called...next card came out low but it cr8 a risk of a flush with 3 clubs on board..the guy put me all in...so thinkin he was bluffin i called..he had AA...should i folded to his bet?

thanks in advance
Superpasha69 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old May 15, 2010, 9:02am   #2
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

The problem here is more preflop. With 15bb, you shouldn't be raising to 3x with the intention to fold to a reraise all-in with marginal hands like A5 because it puts you in a tough position preflop. You're also too light to open shove here.

Also the situation where the guy shoves here is read dependant, but what hand does he call you on the flop with that he can turn into a bluffshove on the turn other than a float with air?

I would recommend playing push or fold poker with 15bb, you should be looking for a spot to resteal all-in with a hand that has decent showdown equity and only be opening pots with very premium hands you can easily call a preflop reshove with.

As played, this spot is disgusting but I fold since I can't see what we're beating. Mid pocket pairs already beat us, the flush draw got there and by the next card was low does that put 4 to a straight on the board or does it pair the board?

Also how does villain play, the fact that he had AA here suggests he's likely to ONLY be flatting AA/KK with 15bb and reshoving all of the other hands in his range that he wants to play with (in my case at least flatting a 3x 15bb effective basically means I have aces or kings)

SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2010, 9:04am   #3
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

btw this just happened while I was replying to the thread

PokerStars Game #44114166616: Tournament #311010166, $30+$3 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level VI (100/200) - 2010/05/15 5:02:03 ET
Table '311010166 19' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 1: borjagb (6472 in chips)
Seat 2: Andrew23122 (2450 in chips)
Seat 3: el_tanja (10742 in chips)
Seat 4: candlemandle (13125 in chips)
Seat 5: Talerric (6655 in chips)
Seat 6: jvgoalman (9389 in chips)
Seat 7: mikey9275 (6632 in chips)
Seat 8: Peter_HH (4693 in chips)
Seat 9: roverdi (5748 in chips)
Peter_HH: posts small blind 100
roverdi: posts big blind 200
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Talerric [Ad As]
borjagb: folds
Andrew23122: folds
el_tanja: folds
candlemandle: calls 200
Talerric has timed out
Talerric: folds
Talerric is sitting out
jvgoalman: folds
mikey9275: raises 600 to 800
Peter_HH: folds
Talerric has returned
roverdi: folds
candlemandle: calls 600
*** FLOP *** [3s 9s 7s]
candlemandle: checks
mikey9275: bets 1400
candlemandle: folds
Uncalled bet (1400) returned to mikey9275
mikey9275 collected 1900 from pot
Talerric said, "ugh timed out aces fml"
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 1900 | Rake 0
Board [3s 9s 7s]
Seat 1: borjagb folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 2: Andrew23122 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: el_tanja folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: candlemandle folded on the Flop
Seat 5: Talerric folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: jvgoalman folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 7: mikey9275 (button) collected (1900)
Seat 8: Peter_HH (small blind) folded before Flop
Seat 9: roverdi (big blind) folded before Flop

So I hope you actually read this response

Old May 15, 2010, 1:46pm   #4
Superpasha69
River Rat

Well, i kind of put him on AK or other two high cards and because he was instant with his all in after turn i just though that he trying to represent a flush...

what hands have good show down value?? i dont really understand what that means

p.s.

Sorry bout the Aces ;)
Old May 15, 2010, 4:00pm   #5
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

A hand with good showdown value is a hand that has a lot of equity against you're opponent's calling range. Let's say you're on the SB with 12bb and the BB covers you narrowly. Action is folded around to you and you shove all-in.

Some opponents may only call you with a very narrow range of hands such as 88+ AK. Others will call with a more standard range like say A9+ KQ+ 55+. Some will call with the top 50% of hands if they think you're shoving any two cards.

They key is to weigh the chance that your opponent folds and the chips you win when he does (in this case it depends on what his calling range is) against how your specific hand plays against his calling range. There is a program called PokerStove that can help you determine how your hand plays against your opponent's range.

Old May 16, 2010, 4:58pm   #6
Superpasha69
River Rat

thanks ill keep what u said in mind.

cant use pokerstove, i got a mac so im really limited to poker rooms n progs i can use((((
Old May 18, 2010, 2:08pm   #7
Axis of Evil
fantasy champ

Axis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwoopAE View Post
btw this just happened while I was replying to the thread

Dealt to Talerric [Ad As]

Talerric said, "ugh timed out aces fml"
I guess timing IS everything afterall?
Axis of Evil est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2010, 11:15pm   #8
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis of Evil View Post
I guess timing IS everything afterall?
Yeah pretty much. I think i've timed out aces 3-4 times and kings another 3-4 times this year between lag, bathroom breaks, being distracted and other stuff.

Old May 21, 2010, 4:46pm   #9
DoubleU
Calling station #1

DoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond reputeDoubleU has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwoopAE View Post
Yeah pretty much. I think i've timed out aces 3-4 times and kings another 3-4 times this year between lag, bathroom breaks, being distracted and getting head from Thai hookers.
FYP.

I mean, "other stuff"? Really? You didn't expect that to fly now, did you?

Quote:
When DoubleU says, "wtf, no" you should take heed.
- jimmytrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
youre thinking ship all the money to big daddy and are now thinking about how to receive that shipment
DoubleU est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2010, 4:49pm   #10
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

Haven't timed out from that yet afaik

I did play a $16 sng to show Kae what poker was and finished second, she was very excited that I cashed for $40 which is like 1200 baht (or 1200 monopoly money, has anyone ever seen a thai banknote? lol)