THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:50am   #211
GoldfishUltraDeluxe
Grinder

GoldfishUltraDeluxe is just really niceGoldfishUltraDeluxe is just really niceGoldfishUltraDeluxe is just really niceGoldfishUltraDeluxe is just really nice
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acehole_76 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by acehole_76 View Post
1st i dont hate autotune as long as it isnt someone trying to pass themselves off as a singer
...that's kinda what it's for?
Kc

it is and is often used that way and i dont like it. somtimes it it used by guys that cant sing and are not really trying to fool you. when this is done i like it.
There should be a lot more groups doing auto-tune stuff. That way, there would be no energy wasted looking for a singer. The band would just go 102%
weizy-nutzu-yeah-this-sounds-awesome-and-we-rock-the-shit-out-of-everything-because-none-of-us-has-to-know-how-to-actually-sing
whenever they performed live.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Dec 13, 2013, 10:52am   #212
GoldfishUltraDeluxe
Grinder

GoldfishUltraDeluxe is just really niceGoldfishUltraDeluxe is just really niceGoldfishUltraDeluxe is just really niceGoldfishUltraDeluxe is just really nice
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

BTW, sorry for the massive failure to not comment on the relevant stuff in thread, I'm having a bad day.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 2:10pm   #213
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by balthazarr View Post
(sia) might have gotten better (is this correct english btw? I don't write much in english these days...)
you're opening a can of worms with "gotten". it's (imo) a perfectly acceptable colloquialism, but it rarely appears in formal english.

Quote:
but I don't like the songs she recorded with him. Let's see what she does next.
no? i don't necessarily care for guetta's reliance on synthetic sound, but he got great performances out of sia.

Quote:
Meanwhile, some more songs to review:
i sometimes wonder if you pick these to aggravate me

the theme in these songs is a total lack of progression. a song should start somewhere and finish somewhere else. it needs to grow and evolve. a song is a journey, it takes you somewhere. all three of these were just four minutes of standing at the bus stop, waiting for the #16 to turn up, only to discover that service had been cancelled due to lack of creativity.

i have encountered this deficiency with pj harvey before. the less said of her the better. fiona apple's effort was actually interesting, i might go so far as to call it provocative, and it even threatened to become a song at one point.

the kid who wants to be bob dylan, however, was infuriating. that ritardando (ha! i studied music so you have to listen to my worthless opinions) thing he insisted on doing made me want to punch him in the head. then the song just stopped, which was a blessed mercy, but it's a shame he couldn't be bothered to write an outro.

and then i tried to append a bunch of youtube links but pokertips shat itself at the very suggestion.

Kc
Old Dec 15, 2013, 5:14pm   #214
balthazarr
zahltinbar

balthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Not necessarily. I prefer to submit songs for review that are arguable. Songs that I might listen to once in a blue moon but whose quality is questionable to me.

Quote:
no? i don't necessarily care for guetta's reliance on synthetic sound, but he got great performances out of sia.
It's his aseptic production style that feels just bland and boring to me. Maria Callas could sing over it and I wouldn't care.

Quote:
the kid who wants to be bob dylan, however, was infuriating.
Adam Green might be a clown but he makes me laugh. And I don't think he wants to be Bob Dylan. I think he knows that he is trash, I thought that's kind of the point of anti-folk?

Quote:
a song should start somewhere and finish somewhere else.
I don't fully agree with that. I don't mind songs that live from one or two ideas without fleshing them out too much. Especially when they are ~3minutes or less. When they are longer I mostly agree.

But then there are some artists I like that produce very long songs where not much happens at all. Usually somewhat psychedelic tunes that put you in a certain mood.

My guess is that you don't care for these at all?

Last edited by balthazarr; Dec 15, 2013 at 7:09pm.
balthazarr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2013, 10:50pm   #215
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Quote:
Not necessarily. I prefer to submit songs for review that are arguable. Songs that I might listen to once in a blue moon but whose quality is questionable to me.
that makes me feel slightly better about my string of negative reviews.

Quote:
It's (guetta's) aseptic production style that feels just bland and boring to me.
i am inclined to agree with this...

Quote:
Maria Callas could sing over it and I wouldn't care.
but not this. his tracks with people who can sing are outstanding. the ones he's attempted with people who can't *cough*nickiminaj*cough* are dreadful.

Quote:
Adam Green might be a clown but he makes me laugh. And I don't think he wants to be Bob Dylan.
one would hope not. dylan was one of the greatest songwriters of the 20th century.

couldn't sing for shit unfortunately.

Quote:
I think he knows that he is trash, I thought that's kind of the point of anti-folk?
i've never quite figured out what anti-folk is supposed to be. feel free to take a shot at explaining it.

Quote:
Quote:
a song should start somewhere and finish somewhere else.
I don't fully agree with that. I don't mind songs that live from one or two ideas without fleshing them out too much. Especially when they are ~3minutes or less. When they are longer I mostly agree.
i think we might just have a fundamental disagreement here. i don't like standing at bus stops waiting for the train that never comes.

Quote:
But then there are some artists I like that produce very long songs where not much happens at all. Usually somewhat psychedelic tunes that put you in a certain mood.
i am wary of songs that last longer than about 4 minutes. if you go much longer than that you're probably masturbating. heavy metal can sometimes stretch that to 5 minutes so that the guitarists have a chance to show off. that's also masturbation, it's just socially acceptable masturbation.

Quote:
My guess is that you don't care for these at all?
i wouldnt call these songs, but no. i lasted about 2 minutes with the former more as a trial of will than anything else. it was cacophonous.

18 seconds with the latter. still feels like someone was boring a hole in my head with a hammer drill.

Kc
Old Dec 16, 2013, 3:28am   #216
balthazarr
zahltinbar

balthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
that makes me feel slightly better about my string of negative reviews.
I'd never take offense. For instance, I had a good laugh at your assessment of the Mahavishnu Orchestra. (Hint if you forgot: It was quite a slaughter)

Quote:
his tracks with people who can sing are outstanding. the ones he's attempted with people who can't *cough*nickiminaj*cough* are dreadful.
I somewhat enjoyed that one song with Kelly Rowland for the first few times. But it turned stale rather quickly. It probably doesn't help that his songs usually are played everywhere on heavy rotation for months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy
i've never quite figured out what anti-folk is supposed to be. feel free to take a shot at explaining it.
It's probably a non-sensical denomination but from what I can gather it's basically folk that doesn't take itself very seriously. A cinic might perceive it is a description for folk-songs/singers that don't have anything relevant to say.

Quote:
i don't like standing at bus stops waiting for the train that never comes.
There are shitty bus stops and there are heavenly bus stops with neat water fountains and a gorgeous view and... yeah I guess we disagree here.

Quote:
i wouldnt call these songs, but no.
I've come to the conclusion that it's not necessarily the music that I like here but the mood it evokes in me. Sometimes I like feeling trippy. Once in a while I enjoy feeling wistful. And these compositions do the trick for me through their hypnotic repetitiveness.

And yes I agree, those aren't really songs and thus don't belong in this thread.

Last edited by balthazarr; Dec 16, 2013 at 4:22am.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:28pm   #217
killcrazy
Apex Predator

Quote:
I'd never take offense.
yeah but i don't like being negative about music. unfortunately, given how this thread spawned, the game has largely been to make me listen to things people know i will hate

Quote:
For instance, I had a good laugh at your assessment of the Mahavishnu Orchestra. (Hint if you forgot: It was quite a slaughter)[/font]
i thought i was quite restrained to be honest.

oh goodie it's kicking off outside. more specifically, a drunk is trying to start a fight with himself. fortunately he seems to be backing down.

Quote:
I somewhat enjoyed that one song with Kelly Rowland for the first few times. But it turned stale rather quickly. It probably doesn't help that his songs usually are played everywhere on heavy rotation for months.
i tend not to go to the sort of places that bombard me with chart music, nor do i consume much traditional media, which likely spares me this.

Quote:
Quote:
It's probably a non-sensical denomination but from what I can gather it's basically folk that doesn't take itself very seriously. A cinic might perceive it is a description for folk-songs/singers that don't have anything relevant to say.
okay so it's folk music that realises it's bad but hopes that nobody else does?

wikipedia says that anti-folk "takes the earnestness of politically charged 1960s folk music and subverts it."

subverts it how? and i'm pretty sure they don't mean subvert, subversion is undermining the authority of a system/institution/etc. 60s folk was itself subversive. if you subvert that don't you just end up with consumerist hipster whores typing screenplays on apple computers in starbucks?

Quote:
There are shitty bus stops and there are heavenly bus stops with neat water fountains and a gorgeous view and... yeah I guess we disagree here.
no there aren't. there are bus stops where everyone waits patiently in a line, and there are bus stops where everyone pretends not to notice the guy slouched in the corner brandishing half a bottle of diamond white cider, yelling into space, while someone repeatedly tries to sell you a dog and/or his girlfriend.

(paid for by the sighthill tourist board. come to scotland and witness our failed attempts at gentrification)

Quote:
I've come to the conclusion that it's not necessarily the music that I like here but the mood it evokes in me. Sometimes I like feeling trippy. Once in a while I enjoy feeling wistful. And these compositions do the trick for me through their hypnotic repetitiveness.
i think this is what art is supposed to do? for this reason, i have an easier time understanding what people see in philip glass than pj harvey, even neither particularly interests me.

Kc
Old Dec 19, 2013, 3:10pm   #218
balthazarr
zahltinbar

Quote:
i don't like being negative about music.
It wasn't all negative, was it? Feist, Cat Power and Fiona Apple got off lightly by comparison.

Somehow I am more interested in negative reviews anyway. As stated before, I am not here for affirmation. It would be easy to curry favour with your taste (I googled that expression and used it for the first time... has it something to do with food?) and I think there wouldn't be any amount of new knowledge which I am esentially looking for. When it comes to music, I have pretty low standards and I am interested in different point of views. It's quite different with movies for example, I can't watch something stupid for more than 5 minutes.

In addition to that, isn't it more fun to write/read a scorcher?

A couple pages back you posted a list of songs:

Quote:
a cross section of what I'm listening to atm:

Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX009sWzRQg

Joan Baez The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnS9M03F-fA (think I posted this before but it's worth having twice)

Sam Cooke - A Change Is Gonna Come http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbO2_077ixs

Otis Redding - Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nA18g_PwG0

The Doors - The End http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8ecXITshe8

Simon and Garfunkel - The Boxer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdKjEHfHINQ

Jimi Hendrix - All Along The Watchtower http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bng3agUOYiI

Led Zeppelin - Rock and Roll http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GonQSHxzb1k

Deep Purple - Black Night http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZpHl1x6JNc

Black Sabbath - Children of the Grave http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63EQAGpQhsc
You know why nobody has tackled these yet? Because they're good songs.
In fact some of these are so good they're almost canonically considered modern classics. Who's gonna show up and say "That Joan Baez can't sing and her lyrics are woeful"? - Only an imbecile.

Having said that, I still have some comments on your list:

I can see why people enjoy Johnny Cash, it's just not my cup of tea. However, I do like Cooke and Redding and I have both tracks somewhere on my computer. I did even click on "Sitting on the dock of the bay" anyway because why not. And then I replayed it because it's too short.

From looking at the other songs, if you replace Garfunkel with something from Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath with something from the Grateful Dead, then you pretty much got my playlist from that summer I graduated High School in (and I don't mean that derogatory). I still dig these tracks although they have kinda 'worn out' on me. Especially the Doors, for some reason I've had enough of them.

Speaking of the Grateful Dead, I have a suspicion that you don't like them for some reason, I might post a song at the end of this post to see if I am right.

Quote:
You called their instruments gay, said they can't play them and that their song sounds like shit. I guess McLaughlin can be glad that you didn't post the unrestrained version.

Quote:
i tend not to go to the sort of places that bombard me with chart music, nor do i consume much traditional media, which likely spares me this.
You never go grocery shopping?

Quote:
wikipedia says that anti-folk "takes the earnestness of politically charged 1960s folk music and subverts it."

subverts it how? and i'm pretty sure they don't mean subvert, subversion is undermining the authority of a system/institution/etc. 60s folk was itself subversive. if you subvert that don't you just end up with consumerist hipster whores typing screenplays on apple computers in starbucks?
You're probably right and I think there is no point in giving it more thoughts. It's like discussing different shades of brown on a turd. I know it's bad but from time to time I still listen to it, it's like a guilty pleasure. (Man, I sound like a guy defending an Adam sandler movie. But I hate Adam Sandler... I am not entirely sure why movies are different to me, maybe because I have more knowledge about movies and thus respect them more as form of art?)

Quote:
no there aren't. there are bus stops where everyone waits patiently in a line, and there are bus stops where everyone pretends not to notice the guy slouched in the corner brandishing half a bottle of diamond white cider, yelling into space, while someone repeatedly tries to sell you a dog and/or his girlfriend.
Sounds like fun, I need to visit that place sometime.

Quote:
i think this is what art is supposed to do?
Strawinsky would disagree.

I think it's an effect art can have but not necesarilly should strive for. If it does, you might end up with kitsch.

Oh, I almost forgot about the Grateful Dead song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa8ImA_wSKI

Last edited by balthazarr; Dec 19, 2013 at 3:12pm.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:59pm   #219
killcrazy
Apex Predator

Quote:
Somehow I am more interested in negative reviews anyway. As stated before, I am not here for affirmation. It would be easy to curry favour with your taste
ironically, i don't care for curry.

Quote:
(I googled that expression and used it for the first time... has it something to do with food?)
i think it's a mishearing of a french phrase. probably something to do with shoeing a horse.

Quote:
and I think there wouldn't be any amount of new knowledge which I am esentially looking for. When it comes to music, I have pretty low standards and I am interested in different point of views. It's quite different with movies for example, I can't watch something stupid for more than 5 minutes.
movies have deteriorated in recent years. it seems like people who have interesting stories to tell are increasingly doing so on television. if coppola was making the godfather today, it would be on HBO.

Quote:
In addition to that, isn't it more fun to write/read a scorcher?
i'm concerned about exhausting my stockpile of scathing attacks though.

Quote:
A couple pages back you posted a list of songs: (snipped)

You know why nobody has tackled these yet? Because they're good songs.
In fact some of these are so good they're almost canonically considered modern classics. Who's gonna show up and say "That Joan Baez can't sing and her lyrics are woeful"? - Only an imbecile.
would it be terribly gauche of me to mention that those lyrics were written by robbie robertson?

Quote:
I can see why people enjoy Johnny Cash, it's just not my cup of tea. However, I do like Cooke and Redding and I have both tracks somewhere on my computer. I did even click on "Sitting on the dock of the bay" anyway because why not. And then I replayed it because it's too short.
if you can find it, redding's cover of wilson pickett's in the midnight hour is outstanding. unfortunately all i get when i search youtube for this is a slew of bad covers from dipshits who think he wrote it because they've never heard of wilson pickett.

Quote:
From looking at the other songs, if you replace Garfunkel
no.

what you are proposing is not only impossible, it is immoral.

Quote:
with something from Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath with something from the Grateful Dead, then you pretty much got my playlist from that summer I graduated High School in (and I don't mean that derogatory).
which was when? i left school in 97. the year that gave us mmmbop and tubthumping...and barbie girl...why couldn't i have been born in 1953.

pink floyd have some good songs but by and large they're too meandering for me. even when i was going through my stoned all the time phase in my 20s i couldn't really get into them. i need more structure than they generally wanted to provide. i could never decide if they sounded like they were just fucking around or trying to show off.

the grateful dead are fine. slight preference for jefferson airplane when i'm in that kind of mood.

Quote:
I still dig these tracks although they have kinda 'worn out' on me. Especially the Doors, for some reason I've had enough of them.
the reason you are worn out on them is that there are only like, three doors songs that ever get played and they get played too much. they've become a kind of musical shorthand for that taking itself perhaps a bit too seriously 60s psychedelic nonsense.

Quote:
Speaking of the Grateful Dead, I have a suspicion that you don't like them for some reason, I might post a song at the end of this post to see if I am right.
nope

Quote:
Quote:
You called their instruments gay, said they can't play them and that their song sounds like shit. I guess McLaughlin can be glad that you didn't post the unrestrained version.
i think i was a bit more colourful than that, but without subjecting myself to the song again, i think that sums it up quite well.

Quote:
Quote:
You never go grocery shopping?
that's actually really weird. supermarkets used to play music at us, but without going to check, i would swear that they don't any more...when did that stop?

Quote:
(antifolk) You're probably right and I think there is no point in giving it more thoughts. It's like discussing different shades of brown on a turd.
quite yellowy in this case.

Quote:
I know it's bad but from time to time I still listen to it, it's like a guilty pleasure.
i had this conversation with someone else last week. their guilty pleasure was miley cyrus. all things considered, i think you got off light.

Quote:
(Man, I sound like a guy defending an Adam sandler movie. But I hate Adam Sandler... I am not entirely sure why movies are different to me, maybe because I have more knowledge about movies and thus respect them more as form of art?)
tricky. i have in the past suggested that films are art, movies are just base entertainment.

also airheads was awesome, but it was awesome in spite of adam sandler.

Quote:
Quote:
Sounds like fun, I need to visit that place sometime.
that happened in sighthill, and i would strongly recommend staying the fuck away.

Quote:
Quote:
i think this is what art is supposed to do?
Strawinsky would disagree.
is this the same stravinsky who said mussolini was the savior of europe?

Quote:
I think it's an effect art can have but not necesarilly should strive for. If it does, you might end up with kitsch.
mm, but surely what it does is more important than what it tries to do?

in any case, defining art is like trying to nail a balloon to an ostrich.

Kc
Old Dec 20, 2013, 12:50pm   #220
balthazarr
zahltinbar

Quote:
ironically, i don't care for curry.
That's unfortunate. They know how to make a good curry in the UK (although maybe that's just a stereotype). From my own experience, I ate an indian curry in London once and lost about 3 pounds in bodily fluids during eating and digesting. Just marvellous!

Quote:
i think it's a mishearing of a french phrase. probably something to do with shoeing a horse.
That makes some sense to me.

Quote:
movies have deteriorated in recent years. it seems like people who have interesting stories to tell are increasingly doing so on television. if coppola was making the godfather today, it would be on HBO.
Coincidentally, the guy that just has claimed to know more about movies than music has never seen The Godfather.

Quote:
would it be terribly gauche of me to mention that those lyrics were written by robbie robertson?
Oh I obviously knew that. *looks sheepishly to the side*

Quote:
which was when? i left school in 97. the year that gave us mmmbop and tubthumping...and barbie girl...why couldn't i have been born in 1953.
2003. Back when Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park were a thing. If I had to choose, I'd rather listen to mmmbop.

Quote:
that's actually really weird. supermarkets used to play music at us, but without going to check, i would swear that they don't any more...when did that stop?
They still do it here. I was at the mall today and during shopping I tried to focus on the music. They were playing Sophie Ellis-Bextor's "Murder on the Dancefloor" which was repeatedly interrupted by advertisements.

"It's murder on the dancefloor.." "...CARROTS ARE 20% OFF!..." "but you better not kill the groove..." damn my favourite ham is out of stock "...gonna burn this goddamn house right now..."

Quote:
i had this conversation with someone else last week. their guilty pleasure was miley cyrus. all things considered, i think you got off light.
Until last week or so, I didn't even know that she is a singer. True story.

Quote:
also airheads was awesome, but it was awesome in spite of adam sandler.
IMDB says I should avoid that movie. But it has Steve Buscemi in it, so I am mildly intrigued. Maybe I should watch the Godfather first though.

Quote:
that happened in sighthill, and i would strongly recommend staying the fuck away.
I googled that place and it actually doesn't look very promising. I'll reconsider.

Quote:
is this the same stravinsky who said mussolini was the savior of europe?
You definitely know how to take the wind out of someone's sails.

Quote:
surely what it does is more important than what it tries to do?
One might argue that it is difficult to have an objective conception of the former.

Quote:
in any case, defining art is like trying to nail a balloon to an ostrich.
I have thought the exact same thing many times.

Last edited by balthazarr; Dec 20, 2013 at 1:47pm.