THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jun 02, 2010, 11:21pm   #1
Superpasha69
River Rat

Superpasha69 is on a distinguished road
Default Heads Up Help needed

Hi guys,

I started playing alot of STT only 1$ buy in so easy competition.

I noticed that i was loosin too often in HU, i played 34 HU n im at 17-17.

What is the best way to approach HU games....I try to be agrressor but i ether dont hit flop and when i get reraised i just fold or i hit mid or bottom pair n id fold vs ALL in.
and im not sure how to deal with that....sticking all in everytime my bluff gets reraised is stupid so is callin ALL ins with bototm pairs...or Im I stupid for thinking that way?
Superpasha69 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jun 03, 2010, 12:10am   #2
kmay06
Professional

kmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant future

What are your preflop stats? How many hands are you playing?

The basic idea behind HU is that every hand is much stronger. If you hit TPTK you are ahead the vast majority of the time. You want to be aggressive, but you also need to recognize that your opponent is going to do the same and thus your hand range where you can call for value is going to be wider.
Old Jun 03, 2010, 12:27am   #3
Superpasha69
River Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmay06 View Post
If you hit TPTK you are ahead the vast majority of the time.
What does TPTK stand for?

I play id 80% maybe more...i only fold hands like 72/82/92etc..

I play most face cards...but post flop is where i struggle big time...If my bet is called on the flop...n it was just a bluff...i tend to give credit to the guy. and because of the range being so wide..it makes it very hard for me to put opponent on a hand or atleast a range of his hands...
Old Jun 03, 2010, 7:29am   #4
Iestyn75
Professional

Iestyn75 will become famous soon enoughIestyn75 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpasha69 View Post

I play most face cards...but post flop is where i struggle big time...If my bet is called on the flop...n it was just a bluff...i tend to give credit to the guy. and because of the range being so wide..it makes it very hard for me to put opponent on a hand or atleast a range of his hands...
TPTK - Top Pair Top Kicker, eg ATo on a T-high flop.

Two tips which have helped me:
a) Take note of the fact that when you get heads up, the BB has to act before the SB post flop for the first time. Earlier in a tourny, if it's folded round to the SB who then raises, you might call that raise from the BB knowing that position postflop will give you an edge. Heads up proper, you lose this. I can't remember where I read it (might have been here) but someone once advised against calling from the BB preflop when the SB has raised. Either re-raise or fold. Any postflop bet you make is then a genuine c-bet rather than a stab in the dark which inevitably gets looked up light.

b) Again, advice I've had elsewhere which works for me is (if at all possible) to avoid dropping below 1/3rd of the chips in play because if you do, you've got no leverage at all. Simply, it gets to the point where it becomes mathematically correct for your opponent to look you up with almost any two cards. Put pressure on before you get to that point.

Others will now tell you why both the above are rubbish and have counter arguments; such is poker!!
Iestyn75 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 03, 2010, 6:32pm   #5
kmay06
Professional

kmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpasha69 View Post

Well, you can get some info even when he is on a huge range. It's just more metagame in HU then 6 max or full ring. Example:

You have KJo and raise the SB and the BB flats. Flop is 2 4 7 rainbow. He checks.

Right well he flats your raise indicating he probably isn't rolling with mid-high pockets pairs, and he is rarely holding absolute garbage. That flop missed his range big, though some suited connectors might have paired. You can guess at that much before you even bet. If you find out that he actually plays pps like that heads up then make a note of it for next time.

Example2:

Same situation pre flop, flop comes 8 J A with a flush draw out there (which you don't have) he checks.

Well, same situation preflop and same info, but now we can guess he doesn't have an ace here super often unless you are always c-betting that flop even with a draw. If you sometimes take free cards he is losing value by checking their against you with his ace. Go ahead and bet out, as his range is a lot of air and draws and you have value against his weaker jacks too. A raise here doesn't mean he has the ace, it can easily mean he is semi-bluffing with his flush draw.

You use these basic ideas, and the persons stats and specifics to further narrow stuff down. Basically you do not want to give up your hands easily as the majority of the time he will not be hitting the flop. If he is going to push you off of a made hand you want him to be taking a line that just spews chips at you in the event you have a strong hand.
Old Jun 04, 2010, 11:09am   #6
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

If you're being floated too much don't cbet your air 100% of the time on the flop; obviously this means you have to check some legit hands once too and extract two streets on the turn and river.

Over a sample of 34 tournaments where you're 17-17 I wouldn't worry about it too much yet; variance happens but if you're still only winning 50% of $1 husngs after 200-300 HUSNGs then chances are you have leaks that need fixing

Insanepokercrew.com has some heads up videos featuring my friend Josh (oasis00/lettherebelove) who is a husng pro; he plays a very straightforward fish-crushing tag style that is easy to emulate and works well against randoms (he plays differently against regs obviously) but it's a good place to start. alternatively if you can afford it, cardrunners.com etc have training videos for HU play.

SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 04, 2010, 2:08pm   #7
Superpasha69
River Rat

thanks guys, all u been helpfull, ill deffo check out those site u recomended swoop.

just to make my self seem less fishy.. i play 6ppl SNG 34 is when i got to HU i played 57altogether...trying to get Battle of the planets bonuses