THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Aug 20, 2010, 5:53am   #1
pokerhurricane
Fish

pokerhurricane is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking about going pro

Ok i dont consider myself a professional poker player yet I play maybe a quarter of my work schedule. I have been thinking lately about becoming a semi pro and working maybe 3 to 4 days a week (just to keep sane). But i have a pretty simple strategy and i want to know what people think. I will only be playing 1-2 no-limit spreed with a 500 max bet every street.(except for a few tournaments here and there that i like to play in) The games are usually pretty loose. I will be buying in for 100 or 200 and only once. Pretty simple strategy i have planed whatever i buy in for a double and then go home. So if i buy in for 100 and get up to 200 i go home and 200 to 400. Pretty simple with only buying in for 100 and doubling it 4 days out of the week thats a net of 1600 a month. Im 23 and single i really only need about 500 dollars to survive and pay bills month to month. Im just curious to know what people think of the strategy. Its a simple x n o's way to go?
pokerhurricane est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Aug 20, 2010, 7:50am   #2
the_fox31
Resident Fox

the_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud of

It doesn't sound like you have played seriously for very long. You should probably focus on improving your game as much as possible for now. By the time you've played enough to prove you're a long term winner you will probably have figured out what sort of bankroll management works to balance living expenses with risk of ruin.

So play to learn for now, meticulously keep track of your wins and losses and reassess in 50,000 hands.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 7:52am   #3
2muchMONEY
[♥] PTips

2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to 2muchMONEY Send a message via AIM to 2muchMONEY Send a message via Yahoo to 2muchMONEY
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

are you srs?

By the Way , war ich in Uruguay hob von dort mein anderes Verhalten
-forum spammer

2muchMONEY est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 10:13am   #4
Tompson
orly?

Tompson has a reputation beyond reputeTompson has a reputation beyond reputeTompson has a reputation beyond reputeTompson has a reputation beyond reputeTompson has a reputation beyond reputeTompson has a reputation beyond reputeTompson has a reputation beyond reputeTompson has a reputation beyond reputeTompson has a reputation beyond reputeTompson has a reputation beyond reputeTompson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchMONEY View Post
are you srs?

Tompson est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:24am   #5
ggnh
Disco

ggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fox31 View Post
.....By the time you've played enough to prove you're a long term winner you will probably have figured out ......
.... what exactly it takes and what it is like and then make an informed decision as to if you want to go pro/semi pro

When you are winning , and easily winning such thoughts are easy to digest and enjoy. Regardless of how busy you are or how tired you are, the thought of sitting down to play seems to give you an extra shot of energy. Here you are "getting paid" to do what you love/really enjoy.

Now that stupid downswing comes, a few months of break even or to where you start thinking begging for change at the corner will bring you more profit than the hours you have put in playing poker.

How hard is it now, just as tired, just as busy and you are still fighting that down swing?

Now try to swallow and digest that...

It has broken many an aspiring semi pro player

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fox31 View Post
So play to learn for now, meticulously keep track of your wins and losses and reassess in 50,000 hands.
At that point sit down with yourself and however many extra personalities you now have from that down swing and talk amongst yourselves and see if you still want to be semi pro/pro
<Ozone> I dunno... fuckin' poker
<Kc>this one is much closer to good advice but still introduces some unnecessary shortcuts across the grass for us to cover our boots in dog shit.
ggnh est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:53am   #6
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

What Fox said. Unfortunately, from the tone of your post, I doubt you're ready.

When you're ready to turn pro, it won't be a question of am I ready, you'll know.

I wasn't ready when I turned pro and I was very lucky to run way above expectation for late 2007 and early 2008; by mid 2008 I actually had the skillset and bankroll to turn pro but i'd been playing professionally already for over six months and had only not gone broke due to running above expectation (search my early posts at this forum for how clueless I was and how the experienced people told me I was running above EV and I didnt believe them)

SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 12:13pm   #7
IronLen1972
Degenerate

IronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant future
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

i forget where this quote came from, but its why I know I won't be a pro any time soon. I know I don't have this quote exactly right either:

"Knowing you are good at something and being good at that same something involve the exact same skill sets"
Old Aug 20, 2010, 5:13pm   #8
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

don't let these kids discourage you. i decided to become a professional poker player before i had played a single hand of real money poker.

i started out playing 25c/50c limit, and within a couple of months i was stuck over a grand at $20/40, which was the biggest game anyone spread online at the time. i had to sell my guitar, my motorcycle and most of my blood to keep myself in the game but then an old timer gave me some great advice, "son" he said "you only really need one kidney". that piece of advice changed my outlook forever, because a month later i realised i only really needed one eye too. also if you get yourself infected with aids you can make great money in clinical trials. so my advice to you is, never try to teach a pig to sing, you waste your time and annoy your pig.

Kc
Old Aug 20, 2010, 5:58pm   #9
acehole_76
I found Kc...............

acehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerhurricane View Post
Ok i dont consider myself a professional poker player yet I play maybe a quarter of my work schedule. I have been thinking lately about becoming a semi pro and working maybe 3 to 4 days a week (just to keep sane). But i have a pretty simple strategy and i want to know what people think. I will only be playing 1-2 no-limit spreed with a 500 max bet every street.(except for a few tournaments here and there that i like to play in) The games are usually pretty loose. I will be buying in for 100 or 200 and only once. Pretty simple strategy i have planed whatever i buy in for a double and then go home. So if i buy in for 100 and get up to 200 i go home and 200 to 400. Pretty simple with only buying in for 100 and doubling it 4 days out of the week thats a net of 1600 a month. Im 23 and single i really only need about 500 dollars to survive and pay bills month to month. Im just curious to know what people think of the strategy. Its a simple x n o's way to go?

1/2 no limit with a $500 max depending on the rake this should be very beatable to somewhat beatable.

here are some things to think about:

how far do you live from the poker room, can you walk there?

tipping, for the most part, dont do it not the dealers or the girls bringing your food and drink.

also 1/2 is not big enough to be your only income........

fucking morons every one of you. there isn't a man in this village that i wouldn't feed into an incinerator for no reason other than to get rid of them.

Kc
acehole_76 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:30pm   #10
Axis of Evil
fantasy champ

Axis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of sheister doesn't tip the waitress?

I don't agree with your philosophy of pulling the plug once you double up. Your decision should be based on how beatable the game is at the moment and not based on a generic pre-planned strategy of when to walk away. There are games you should leave immediately and ones you should stay in all night. For example, I was in Blackhawk Colorado this week and once I noticed the dealer knew every player by name and that one guy was being congratulated for winning $114K in the main event (Marcel Cole, I believe was his name), it didn't matter that I just drove an hour up into the mountains to play poker. I was done with that game.
Axis of Evil est déconnecté   Reply With Quote