THE FORUMS


German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > No-Limit Hold'em Ring Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Apr 17, 2011, 10:02am   #81
podbelski
Doyle Look-alike
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 293
Reputation: 402
podbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nice
Default

Probably you should have dropped to NL25 much earlier, right after you was not bankrolled enough for NL200. Just to "regain confidence", without the immediate goal of quickly winning back your losses.

For now, if you are still in a mood to keep playing, I'd rather deposit some bucks (prob to another room) and play 3-4 tables of NL25. At least, you still can build up your roll a bit in case something starts clicking for you.

BTW have you tried to tape a vid of your session? Not saying it will solve problems, but some problems with your play might be revealed this way... Yet from what you say it mostly looks like an awful run, I mean the leaks you describe you have should be cutting your winnings or making you breakeven at worst, not an insanely losing player.

How many hands you've played since Jan, and how big are your total losses?
podbelski est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 17, 2011, 1:40pm   #82
Fredrik
Professional
 
Fredrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,212
Reputation: 148
Fredrik will become famous soon enoughFredrik will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
that online poker has taken such a big kick in the teeth this weekend coincides nicely for you i would have said. get a job, earn a regular wage for a while, forget poker exists and enjoy the other things in your life.
That is a funny coincidence actually. What makes it even more weird is that my first week as a pro was the week the UIEGA passed.

I'm not particularly attached to poker, and I don't think I would miss it much. The only problem I have with quitting is that there's something that I really want to do that will almost certainly be impossible when I have a real job (because of the time it will take), and another thing that I really want to do that will be much harder when I have a real job (probably so much harder that I won't be able to pull it off). I don't want to discuss those things here, but they are very important to me. That's why I haven't already quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
there is no shame in this, just like there's no shame in moving down. players wind up broken because they feel shame in stepping down or stepping away. you had a good run and made good money, but the universe does seem to be telling you it's time to do something else.
4.5 years without an alarm clock, fancy restaurant food several times a week, a new car paid for without any loans, still some of my earlier profits left, etc. I haven't made the decision to quit yet, but if I do, I won't think that it was a mistake to start (i.e. to quit the job I had then and play poker for a living).

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
i know being a poker player is cool and when girls ask what you do for a living at parties they immediately demand the opportunity to fellate you because in their mind professional gambler = new shoes,
Yes, I'm going to miss that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleBoy View Post
dropping this quickly is certainly bad br management,
Quote:
Originally Posted by podbelski View Post
Probably you should have dropped to NL25 much earlier, right after you was not bankrolled enough for NL200.
Yes, you're right about this. I just thought it was too unlikely that this was going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by podbelski View Post
How many hands you've played since Jan, and how big are your total losses?
97K hands (35K of them in April). -4.5K for the year. I haven't really been losing before, but I've been close to breakeven for a very long time. My bankroll has been shrinking to almost nothing because I've been spending money faster than I've been able to make a profit. I guess I've also waited much too long to really deal with my tilt/concentration/laziness issues.

I will continue to the end of the month, and then evaluate the situation. It's certainly looking like I'll have to quit, but I'm not going to make any such decisions until the month is over.

I've been thinking that it's a waste of time to learn how to adjust to the micros, but I did some thinking about that yesterday. There are bad players at higher stakes too, and I've always felt that they've been causing me much more trouble than they should be able to. So I probably need to play terrible players for a while, to learn how to adjust to them quickly and correctly.
Fredrik est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 01, 2011, 9:20am   #83
Fredrik
Professional
 
Fredrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,212
Reputation: 148
Fredrik will become famous soon enoughFredrik will become famous soon enough
Default

I stopped making the daily updates because they were getting depressing. I had three more losing days at the micros, for a total of seven(!) consecutive losing days at .10/.25 and .05/.10. That's pretty insane. I ran crazy terrible, but I also had a hard time adjusting (and to take the games seriously).

Even though I was getting extra rakeback in the form of a bonus that I was clearing slowly, I had less than 70 bucks in my account at one point. I increased that to just over 600 by the end of the month. I also made about 200 at the Swedish site I mentioned.

I have decided that I'm going to give this another month or two. I'm not going to redeposit anything. I'll just try to rebuild my bankroll using a very aggressive bankroll strategy. I will continue to move up as soon as I have 8 buy-ins for the next higher stakes, and move down immediately if I fall below that. If I can rebuild to a decent roll this month, and have once successful month of grinding 1/2 or 2/4 after that, I'll continue playing poker. If I haven't been able to win at least a few thousand by the end of May, I will definitely quit.

I'm more convinced now than ever that I only have one significant problem: My state of mind when I'm playing. I haven't been concentrating enough. I haven't controlled my emotions enough. I haven't had the common sense to quit my sessions when I slip into a state of mind where I just don't think things through. Two pieces of evicence in favor of this are a) the videos I've been watching, where much more successful players than I are beating 5/10 while playing almost exactly the same way I am (or slightly worse) when I'm at the top of my game, b) the fact that I can't even beat the micros for a decent win rate when I six-table and watch TV at the same time. Yes, I actually did that while trying to bring the money in my account up to 400, where I could start playing .25/.50. I certainly won't do anything like that this month. I will need to remind myself that the hands I play at small- and microstakes are important too, because better results there will enable me to play more hands at higher stakes.
Fredrik est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2011, 7:53pm   #84
podbelski
Doyle Look-alike
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 293
Reputation: 402
podbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nice
Default

Well, good luck then
podbelski est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 07, 2011, 12:50am   #85
spectrefax
Fish
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5
Reputation: 23
spectrefax is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
I stopped making the daily updates because they were getting depressing. I had three more losing days at the micros, for a total of seven(!) consecutive losing days at .10/.25 and .05/.10. That's pretty insane. I ran crazy terrible, but I also had a hard time adjusting (and to take the games seriously).

Even though I was getting extra rakeback in the form of a bonus that I was clearing slowly, I had less than 70 bucks in my account at one point. I increased that to just over 600 by the end of the month. I also made about 200 at the Swedish site I mentioned.

I have decided that I'm going to give this another month or two. I'm not going to redeposit anything. I'll just try to rebuild my bankroll using a very aggressive bankroll strategy. I will continue to move up as soon as I have 8 buy-ins for the next higher stakes, and move down immediately if I fall below that. If I can rebuild to a decent roll this month, and have once successful month of grinding 1/2 or 2/4 after that, I'll continue playing poker. If I haven't been able to win at least a few thousand by the end of May, I will definitely quit.

I'm more convinced now than ever that I only have one significant problem: My state of mind when I'm playing. I haven't been concentrating enough. I haven't controlled my emotions enough. I haven't had the common sense to quit my sessions when I slip into a state of mind where I just don't think things through. Two pieces of evicence in favor of this are a) the videos I've been watching, where much more successful players than I are beating 5/10 while playing almost exactly the same way I am (or slightly worse) when I'm at the top of my game, b) the fact that I can't even beat the micros for a decent win rate when I six-table and watch TV at the same time. Yes, I actually did that while trying to bring the money in my account up to 400, where I could start playing .25/.50. I certainly won't do anything like that this month. I will need to remind myself that the hands I play at small- and microstakes are important too, because better results there will enable me to play more hands at higher stakes.
Think one of the best things you could do for yourself is to make yourself a "Session Routine" in which you have a mental warmup, set amount of time to play in which you try to give it absolutely your all, and a quitting time.

Get used to doing this and you'll be playing your A game much more often and will be able to do it for much longer amount of time.
__________________
.onlinepokertournamentstrategies.com - Giving you the tools you need to crush low-limit tournaments.
spectrefax est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 7:52am. vBulletin 3.7.4 Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.