THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > No-Limit Hold'em Ring Games

Old Dec 03, 2010, 11:57am   #1
Fredrik
Professional

Fredrik will become famous soon enoughFredrik will become famous soon enough
Default Continuation bet situation with KTo, BTN vs. SB

As I've been mentioning in my other threads, I feel like I don't even know when to cbet anymore, so I'm going to post some extremely common situations. No information on the opponent. 0.5/1 NL 6-max.

SB ($100)
BB ($198 )
UTG ($100)
UTG+1 ($218 )
CO ($101)
Hero ($105)

Dealt to Hero

fold, fold, fold, Hero raises to $3, SB calls $2.50, fold

FLOP ($7)

SB checks, Hero bets $5, SB calls $5

TURN ($17)

SB checks

Do I bet again? Was I wrong to bet the flop?
Fredrik est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Dec 03, 2010, 1:09pm   #2
podbelski
Doyle Look-alike

podbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nice

I don't see why you shouldn't be cbetting that dryish flop readless.

His call means he has no flushdraw, but may have an A or a middle pair. In addition, might have turned a flushdraw to his pair. I see everything he folds to a turn bet he will be checking on the river, so I like a check behind to evaluate. In this case, you will have many options on the river, including making the best hand or trying to take the pot away repping an A w/o a diamond.
podbelski est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2010, 2:48pm   #3
Fredrik
Professional

Fredrik will become famous soon enoughFredrik will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by podbelski View Post
I don't see why you shouldn't be cbetting that dryish flop readless.
The argument would be that his range includes many Ax hands, pocket pairs that will call, and draws that will call or raise.

Based on what I've seen in videos, a cbet is standard here. I used to cbet these flops 100% of the time back when I was winning consistently. Of course, lately, my experiences tell me that I'm ****** if I do, and ****** if I don't.

Quote:
His call means he has no flushdraw,
I don't know about that. I can definitely see him check-calling with a draw.

Quote:
In addition, might have turned a flushdraw to his pair.
That's one of the things that went through my head at the time. Not sure if it matters though, or even which way it should influence my decision if it does. If he has a pocket pair, let's say 99, there's a 50% chance it includes a d. If it does, he's more likely to call again, and if it doesn't he's less likely to call again. Seems like these things might cancel each other out.

Quote:
...repping an A w/o a diamond.
Really? I would be more inclined to bet the turn with Ax no diamond than with Ax with a diamond.

Last edited by Fredrik; Dec 03, 2010 at 3:02pm.
Fredrik est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 03, 2010, 4:01pm   #4
podbelski
Doyle Look-alike

podbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nice

His range might also include unpaired hands that beat you or worse than yours but they'll stab the turn if you check. You said he's unknown so anything is possible, he can even fold small PPs to a cbet who knows. Thus by default I like betting, additionally a check is most likely will be treated you don't have an A which is bad.

Next, I tend to assume he's more likely to check-raise his draw cause you pretty much will be in trouble w/o an A, also I think you are much less likely to 3bet all-in with a better draw than he has (I mean this were my thoughts if I were in the blind). I might be wrong every where, so if this is a terrible spot for the blind to check-raise QJss flushdraw I'll be happy to hear why.

For the turn, I just feel like his range mostly consists of made hands that don't want to play a big pot, but might have no problems calling the turn for different reasons. That's why I don't like firing again too much, and have a feeling you'll almost have to fire 3 to make him fold midpairs. And you don't know how many weak aces in his range and don't know is he capable of folding them or not. So checking the turn almost giving up I guess.

Last thing, you made me think hard and now I'm not sure when it's better to bet the turn - with a diamond or without to your A, and how big the diamond have to be to affect this decision. Several reasons come to my mind, and I can't figure out single "best" rule. If you want, he does not know which way do you prefer, so I guess bet-check-bet line is always repping something when you do it.
podbelski est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:57pm   #5
BubbleBoy
BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

basically this

if you are comfortably calling a turn bet on most cards after checking back flop, checking the flop is fine

with KT here there's not really a clear cut play. check is fine. cbet is fine.

whats his SB cold call %?

BubbleBoy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote