THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > Beginners' Corner

Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:03pm   #11
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

two or three times the big blind is not a big raise, 2x is the minimum, 3x is standard.

the less you raise, the better the odds you are laying to your opponents, which means the more hands they can call with profitably. if your opponents are calling liberally, your making small bets actually minimises their opportunity to fuck up.

the K8 hand is just a beat, it's a good example of what i was saying in my first post, you can valuebet K8 against these people because they're calling worse pairs. what you do when the second 6 hits is more complex and heavily dependent on the player, specifically how often they bet.

Kc

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 11, 2011, 5:30pm   #12
kmay06
Professional

kmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippyjim View Post
I cant quite remember my stack now, all I can remember is that I didnt have much left thats why I went all in.

Another example from way back, I had pocket kings, did a big raise (2 or 3 times the blind) pre flop and lost to my mate who had 6 3 but hit 2 pair on the flop...

Weve got another game tonight so hopefully I can cut the silly mistakes like that out and get a win!!
FYI stack size will be one of your biggest influencing factors in these games with fast blinds where you'll end up with small stacks sometimes. You need to think ahead when you play, and figure out if betting will put you all in later, and if you want to be all in, etc. It'll also influence what types of hands you can play preflop. If you have 10 bb you should fold that 56suited but if you are deep playing it you can get paid off etc.

And your hand history says you raised 40 ? As in from 80 to 120? If so, you can't do that. Min raise is 160 if BB is 80. Standard raise would be about 240 or more.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 3:37pm   #13
slippyjim
Fish

slippyjim is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah good point about the 40 raise, must be my memory going....

The less said about last nights game the best.....
Was just a disaster!!! But more lessons learnt

The games we play tend to be very low raises usually BB or a little more, people very very rarely reraise. I try and base my raises on the BB and the pot size after reading about it, but last night in the heads up were 2 people who have no clue about odds or amounts to bet. Its frustrating because I feel I should be beating them but the more I have read the less I am winning!!

More practise I guess
slippyjim est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:42pm   #14
4Kings
Brunson

4Kings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Haha nice one
thanks for the tip
Old May 07, 2011, 1:06am   #15
spectrefax
Fish

spectrefax is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah good point about the 40 raise, must be my memory going....

The less said about last nights game the best.....
Was just a disaster!!! But more lessons learnt

The games we play tend to be very low raises usually BB or a little more, people very very rarely reraise. I try and base my raises on the BB and the pot size after reading about it, but last night in the heads up were 2 people who have no clue about odds or amounts to bet. Its frustrating because I feel I should be beating them but the more I have read the less I am winning!!

More practise I guess
if the guys are playing really loose you obviously understand how hard it is to put them on a hand. So you need to control what you can, and that is your hand. So play tight and try to play good hands so you'll know if you're likely to be a favorite or not. It'll take some of the guess work out of it for you.

For example, if you have AK or AQ and an A flops, against these loose guys you know that if they have an ace, yours is certainly best.

Next thing is to try to control the size of the pot until you actually have a strong hand that can't be easily run down (unless you are short stacked), this will greatly reduce your variance in the middle stages of play. It's that old mantra 'Small hand small pot, big hand big pot' and top pair is a small hand.

Lots of variables I could cover here, but this should get you started in the right direction.
Old May 14, 2011, 1:55am   #16
PTYP
River Rat

PTYP can only hope to improve

I've played all over the world and played in every game and stake imaginable. My play against loose players, (although I am LAG myself) is to trap them with small bets that they WILL MISTAKE for weakness and then just hammer them on the river. I've played in the BIG GAME with Doyle and he agrees with the strategy.
PTYP est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011, 10:12am   #17
podbelski
Doyle Look-alike

podbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nice

PTYP, could you pls post a couple of concrete hand histories?
podbelski est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011, 6:41pm   #18
PTYP
River Rat

PTYP can only hope to improve

I don't need to post any hand histories because my word is my bond, and that bond is good enough for me, and should be for anyone else, too.
PTYP est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2011, 7:57pm   #19
podbelski
Doyle Look-alike

podbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nice

Oh sorry, how could I doubt your expertize. Sorry again, will do like you say
podbelski est déconnecté   Reply With Quote