THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > PokerTips Lounge

Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:29pm   #11
kmay06
Professional

kmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant future

Quote:
there is no larger issue find out if your liable
disagree with this.

If it were a situation that he is just endangering himself, and he soberly tells me that he doesn't care and will do it anyway then I wouldn't bother him about it. he isn't though, if he is drunk he is putting others at risk when he drives. the fact that it is a friend wouldn't excuse him from that, so I'd treat him the same as finding anyone else in that situation.

it's sort of a dick move, but I would tell him he is free to drink as much as he wants and still drive, but that I have no problem calling the cops and saying there is a drunk guy driving down such and such a street. that would probably deter him enough to keep his drinking under control/get a ride, and if not a dui might do the trick.

this is assuming he is actually drunk. 12 beers in 8 hours a lot of bigger guys could drink (depending on the alc/v) and still be under the legal limit. I don't think I make a big deal about it unless it's clear he is being negligent and there is a real chance he will hit someone else.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:29am   #12
acehole_76
I found Kc...............

acehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmay06 View Post
disagree with this.

If it were a situation that he is just endangering himself, and he soberly tells me that he doesn't care and will do it anyway then I wouldn't bother him about it. he isn't though, if he is drunk he is putting others at risk when he drives. the fact that it is a friend wouldn't excuse him from that, so I'd treat him the same as finding anyone else in that situation.

it's sort of a dick move, but I would tell him he is free to drink as much as he wants and still drive, but that I have no problem calling the cops and saying there is a drunk guy driving down such and such a street. that would probably deter him enough to keep his drinking under control/get a ride, and if not a dui might do the trick.

this is assuming he is actually drunk. 12 beers in 8 hours a lot of bigger guys could drink (depending on the alc/v) and still be under the legal limit. I don't think I make a big deal about it unless it's clear he is being negligent and there is a real chance he will hit someone else.

there are to many people on earth anyway so w/e to your worries. for argument sake lets say you do what you want the guy says fuck you and stops coming. on what should be poker night he drives really far away gets really drunk out of spite drives home and kills someone while he should have been playing cards.

@ Len in America you would be liable if that is the case in Canada as well, send him to the curb.

fucking morons every one of you. there isn't a man in this village that i wouldn't feed into an incinerator for no reason other than to get rid of them.

Kc
acehole_76 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 1:06am   #13
kmay06
Professional

kmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant futurekmay06 has a brilliant future

Quote:
there are to many people on earth anyway so w/e to your worries.
if he killed himself that would probably be my response. however, it isn't his right to end someone else's life.
Quote:
for argument sake lets say you do what you want the guy says fuck you and stops coming. on what should be poker night he drives really far away gets really drunk out of spite drives home and kills someone while he should have been playing cards.
we are (should be) responsible for the foreseeable consequences to our actions, not the actual consequences. if through my negligence someone dies than I am (at least partially) responsible. If through a rube goldberg machine my microwaving some oatmeal causes someone to die, I'm not responsible.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 3:47am   #14
bluesjack9
Professional

bluesjack9 is a name known to allbluesjack9 is a name known to allbluesjack9 is a name known to allbluesjack9 is a name known to allbluesjack9 is a name known to allbluesjack9 is a name known to all

Ban him, you don't need the hassle.
bluesjack9 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:23am   #15
Axis of Evil
fantasy champ

Axis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

Set his car on fire and offer him a beer. It works everytime.
Axis of Evil est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:37am   #16
MRVEGAS
Dude

MRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to MRVEGAS

Easy fix: Offer him this.

This will solve his drinking problem!!!

DRV

P.S. Let the guy drink his beer, make sure he eats while he plays....pizza, hamburgers, moose meat, canadian bacon....i dunno watcha eat, you get the pic.
“The weak are the most treacherous of us all. They come to the strong and drain them. They are bottomless. They are insatiable. They are always parched and always bitter. They are everyone’s concern and like vampires they suck our life’s blood.” Bette Davis
MRVEGAS est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:26pm   #17
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronLen1972 View Post
Last few fridays one of our reg's who is on huge life tilt drank about a dozen beer and decided it was a good idea to drive home. I caught wind of it and had a word with him about it. Two weeks ago, same result. Last Friday, I offered a cab, several guys (sober and zero alcohol in them) offered to drive him home. He drove anyways.

So this Friday I am considering banning him from the game permanently. A seven year reg. I am not going to give second chances, no fucking around. If I say he is done, it means done. For good. I was PISSED AS HELL last week. If I am sending him packing I want to be sure it isn't because of my past history with my wife being hit by a drunk driver. Liability issues aside I feel I have a civic duty to protect the public in this instance because I have absolutely no evidence that he is going to stop. I want no part of that on my conscience.

Because of my potential decision I expect a shit load of backlash from his friends who also come to the game, not least of which is because he also happens to be one of the biggest donators at the game as well.

Thoughts?
You're going to get backlash from /his/ friends because they don't get to take his money any more? rather an odd definition of friendship.

Quote:
I want to be sure it isn't because of my past history with my wife being hit by a drunk driver.
Why? It is. You have first hand experience of why this kind of shit is unacceptable. It's not like you're beating up a Japanese guy because your wife was hit by a Japanese car. You're stopping someone from participating in the volitional negligence that you know gets people killed (note to thread, Len's wife isn't dead, don't panic).

Thing is it isn't just a concern while he is leaving your game, because he's probably getting pished up other places too. So you have two options, one of which naturally follows the other. Firstly, you and the others in the game want to try and help him get control of himself, we've all seen prime time huggy feely family tv shows we know how to handle these kind of issues now. If this is not possible, then shop him to the polis, let him get lifted and don't lose a minute's sleep over it. Kmay said something similar, but missed out the step where you try to help him. Also i would be much less wet about setting him up with the filth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmay
we are (should be) responsible for the foreseeable consequences to our actions, not the actual consequences. if through my negligence someone dies than I am (at least partially) responsible.
i see someone has been paying attention. but i usually use the phrase "predictable consequences". I would question your definition of negligence, however. If I do something dumb because I am drunk, it remains a volitional act because i chose to get drunk whereupon i would be prone to doing dumb shit. doing dumb shit is a predictable consequence of getting drunk.

since we've wandered into a philosophical discussion, where is the cut off for predictability? how obvious does it have to be that if you do x, y will/can follow? if you don't realise it will but i do, are you still responsible? it was after all predictable, because i was able to predict it. does your ignorance absolve you? if so the ignorance of a drunk driver would also absolve him. if one does not dedicate one's entire life to the cultivation of wisdom, then is one not volitionally negligent in this regard? what are the predictable consequences of this?

in fact, you are simply responsible for the consequences of your actions, regardless of whether they were "predictable". if my wife sends me to retrive the milk from the fridge, and i spill some on the table because a sniper shoots me in the arm, then by what mechanism did the milk come to be spilt if not by my action?

oh this is going to be fun.

Kc
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:33pm   #18
acehole_76
I found Kc...............

acehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
(note to thread, Len's wife isn't dead, don't panic).
Kc

whew that is a load off my mind.........

fucking morons every one of you. there isn't a man in this village that i wouldn't feed into an incinerator for no reason other than to get rid of them.

Kc
acehole_76 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 4:37pm   #19
IronLen1972
Degenerate

IronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant futureIronLen1972 has a brilliant future
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

I decided to call him today and have it settled privately.

I told him he could come to the game so long as he did not bring a vehicle. I also informed him if he tried to pull that shit a fourth time I would pick up the phone, call the cops and tell them his name, plate, type of vehicle etc and he can sort that shit out for himself. My lawyer friend told me that a call like that instantly clears me of liability so long as I inform him that I am going to do that (I did) and that I follow through (I will). Interesting side not - I would have been liable in some measure had he been involved in an accident. It was a super long discussion but the net result was I could be held partially liable.

Carrying on...the final result:

He told me to go fuck myself. Civility thus ended I told him that was unfortunate, have a nice life asshat.

So there you have it.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:16pm   #20
MRVEGAS
Dude

MRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to allMRVEGAS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to MRVEGAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronLen1972 View Post

He told me to go fuck myself.

I agree with your "friend". You handled the situation like a pussy instead of a man, imo.

MRV
“The weak are the most treacherous of us all. They come to the strong and drain them. They are bottomless. They are insatiable. They are always parched and always bitter. They are everyone’s concern and like vampires they suck our life’s blood.” Bette Davis
MRVEGAS est déconnecté   Reply With Quote