THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Apr 24, 2011, 12:58am   #1
maverykk
Flop Artist

maverykk is on a distinguished road
Default Black Friday Influence at other site

Background: i have played at Merge (carbon poker) for about four years. Play mostly 10/25 nlhe full ring cash games, three tabling. Observations are as follows.

> players online has jumped from 5000 to 10000 in one week
> full ring tables have gone from 5 with 2 people waiting to 10 with 7 people waiting.
> used to have a good mix of players per table (canada, finland, china, mexico, england, etc) now all seats are american with few others.
> opening preflop betting is larger (4 to 6 BB) with 3 and 4 betting more common.
> much more bluffing and overall agression
> average pots are bigger as a result

it appears players that used to play at PS and FT at higher limits are putting in small bankroll to check out the site and see what happens. consequently, they betsize larger because the drop in limit (playing at 100/200 results in no fear and buying pots at 10/25)

well, things have changed in the past week. dramatic increase in traffic, especially at the 50/100 bad beat tables.
more updates to follow if anyone is interested.
maverykk est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 24, 2011, 1:14am   #2
staphros
Wolf Game LVP

staphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverykk View Post
Background: i have played at Merge (carbon poker) for about four years. Play mostly 10/25 nlhe full ring cash games, three tabling. Observations are as follows.

> players online has jumped from 5000 to 10000 in one week
> full ring tables have gone from 5 with 2 people waiting to 10 with 7 people waiting.
> used to have a good mix of players per table (canada, finland, china, mexico, england, etc) now all seats are american with few others.
> opening preflop betting is larger (4 to 6 BB) with 3 and 4 betting more common.
> much more bluffing and overall agression
> average pots are bigger as a result

it appears players that used to play at PS and FT at higher limits are putting in small bankroll to check out the site and see what happens. consequently, they betsize larger because the drop in limit (playing at 100/200 results in no fear and buying pots at 10/25)

well, things have changed in the past week. dramatic increase in traffic, especially at the 50/100 bad beat tables.
more updates to follow if anyone is interested.
The problem with Merge is that every update the software gets worse and more gimmicky.

Games are soft though.
staphros est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 1:38am   #3
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

Interesting observations. Doesn't sound like a site I wanna play at.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 1:41am   #4
maverykk
Flop Artist

maverykk is on a distinguished road

yes i agree. although they have kept the best parts.
the ability to rabbit, show one card, see hole cards of mucked hand after showdown. even the animations are funny and inventive.
the games were really soft.
that is changing with the infux of PS and FT players.
the aggrssion is exploitable i think.
i have paid to see cards more often now if the pot is smallish just to get a read on the new players. seems like any Ax is raising now.

Last edited by maverykk; Apr 24, 2011 at 2:46am.
maverykk est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2011, 1:58am   #5
staphros
Wolf Game LVP

staphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverykk View Post
yes i agree. although they have kept the best parts.
the ability to rabbit, show one card, see hole cards of mucked hand after showdown. even the animations are funny and inventive.
the games were really soft.
that is chaging with the infux of PS and FT players.
the aggrssion is expoitable i think.
i have paid to see cards more often now if the pot is smallish just to get a read on the new players. seems like any Ax is raising now.
Yes it appears the only other "options" are:

Cake Poker - Take the mistakes that Carbon have made and multiply them by 5. Version 2.0 of their client is a total clusterfuck to navigate. They also seem to be branching out into other areas suck as BJ / War. ALso they have more ALL IN every hand SNG running than real SNG. I see why their network has been shedding skins so fast they are going in the wrong direction. At least the old version was a clunky looking stars clone with a few decent low/mid level games.

Bodog - I actually think they have improved the main lobby somewhat. However the tables and tourney lobbies still need some work. Their MTT schedule is also pretty non existant.

I think all 3 of the above need to tone down the gimmicks especially in non cash game play. Why not just have a range of freezeouts and a range of rebuys on a reliable schedule. Tweak the interfaces to show needed info easily (blind length/No Players/Start time). For the cash games improve the filters a little and bump up or standardize the rewards program.
staphros est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 5:10pm   #6
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

From the perspective of an aus player cake and merge are both garbage compared to the ongame network and its various skins if we want to play at a smaller site

SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote