THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > Strategy > No-Limit Hold'em Ring Games

Old Apr 26, 2011, 9:55pm   #1
TJTay89
I am a wolf

TJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant future
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!
Default Differences between Online and Live Poker

Given the hurdles faced by American poker players playing online, it seems natural that there will be an increased interest in live poker games. However, there are some obvious differences between the two. The speed of the game, worrying about tells, adjusting to non-databased information (HUD), how to properly bet, ect. are some of the concerns I have with playing live for the first time. So what are some good pointers for former online exclusive players making their first attempt at playing live? Are the players generally better or worse live? How important are tells? Or anything else that might be of use to people.
TJTay89 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 27, 2011, 1:40pm   #2
darryl
Still can't quit day job.

darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Generally the players are worse. It's harder to get people to fold, so don't bluff much unless you have a good read on the player. Raise more preflop. 5X is pretty standard where I play. Don't worry so much about you're own tells. Most players are oblivious. Old men tend to be rocks. Skinny young Asians with thick glasses are spastic. Inexperienced players tend to be passive. When they bet out, they have at least 2 pair. Given the much lower volume of hands, the variance can be a bitch. It's not uncommon to get no premium hands in a session.

-d
darryl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:54pm   #3
Red4Eva
Grinder

Red4Eva is a splendid one to beholdRed4Eva is a splendid one to beholdRed4Eva is a splendid one to beholdRed4Eva is a splendid one to beholdRed4Eva is a splendid one to beholdRed4Eva is a splendid one to behold

Play live PLO. It's the nuts right now imo. Since the online thing I'm playing strictly 2-5 and 5-10 PLO and it's pretty soft. Variance can be high obv but you can crush just playing basic ABC.
Red4Eva est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2011, 2:53am   #4
BubbleBoy
BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleBoy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

wow good idea. Im trying to get into plo a bit but playing 4 tables online is too much and playing 2 tables I get distracted. Might try it out live.

BubbleBoy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 9:19pm   #5
Red4Eva
Grinder

Red4Eva is a splendid one to beholdRed4Eva is a splendid one to beholdRed4Eva is a splendid one to beholdRed4Eva is a splendid one to beholdRed4Eva is a splendid one to beholdRed4Eva is a splendid one to behold

lol
Red4Eva est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:36am   #6
Snaggle
Professional

Snaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to beholdSnaggle is a splendid one to behold
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Generally the players are worse. It's harder to get people to fold, so don't bluff much unless you have a good read on the player. Raise more preflop. 5X is pretty standard where I play. Don't worry so much about you're own tells. Most players are oblivious. Old men tend to be rocks. Skinny young Asians with thick glasses are spastic. Inexperienced players tend to be passive. When they bet out, they have at least 2 pair. Given the much lower volume of hands, the variance can be a bitch. It's not uncommon to get no premium hands in a session.

-d
I forgot the most important tell- the tourist tell, most of these are degenerate gamblers/fish, none of them are regulars or prop players.

The well dressed tell- these guys are always overdressed, usually drive expressive cars are vain and that vanity extends to poker. They just can't admit they're outclassed and want to show off/boast. They normally bleed money and will come back again and again to do it and are usually so conceited they think they're winning it.

Why do people keep typing "GG" when I go AI in the short stack with 72o?
Snaggle est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2011, 5:24am   #7
TJTay89
I am a wolf

TJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant futureTJTay89 has a brilliant future

Thanks everyone for your responses. I shall be playing live for the first time as soon as finals week is over, and will keep some of this information in mind.
TJTay89 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 1:13am   #8
PTYP
River Rat

PTYP can only hope to improve

I think the main advantage for me playing live is I can stare a hole through a player and just make him melt. When I put my steely gaze on 'em it takes a special player to make it through that without giving away information. I've been told by the best in the business that my stare is THE MOST INTIMIDATING in the world.
PTYP est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 9:53am   #9
podbelski
Doyle Look-alike

podbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nicepodbelski is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTYP View Post
...When I put my steely gaze on 'em it takes a special player to make it through that without giving away information.
I guess they give away smth like "Fk dude, stop gazing at me like an idiot" LOL
podbelski est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2011, 12:32pm   #10
Boilermaker
Get off my lawn

Boilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTYP View Post
I think the main advantage for me playing live is I can stare a hole through a player and just make him melt. When I put my steely gaze on 'em it takes a special player to make it through that without giving away information. I've been told by the best in the business that my stare is THE MOST INTIMIDATING in the world.

You must be awesome irl.
Boilermaker est déconnecté   Reply With Quote