THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > PokerTips Lounge

Old Jul 28, 2014, 5:41pm   #1
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

feudallord will become famous soon enough
Default Strong Ace vs Any Pair (new beginnings)

I took me pretty much all weekend and most of today to review a lot of the stuff that's compiled over the years. Last night I was up to nearly 20 bucks, now I have around 16 though because I still maintain the tendency of playing shit like 69dd from EP, MP which is the road to hell.

Consider though that I've spent three years up until like two days ago playing this way. It's become a bad habit like cigarette smoking.

I'll say it again though, the advice I've been privileged to receive from primarily KC Swoop and Darryl is priceless to say the least. I'm pretty sure everything anyone needs to know how to win at the game is in these threads.

Anyway, what I need to do at this point in time is consolidate the rules to the point of unbreakable metal regardless of how I feel about them, if, that is, I want to keep playing, and winning in the long term.

My problem up until now can be explained by a deficit in my personality, and I think I'm taking a giant leap forward in the right direction with this self-confirmation. I read in one thread somewhere swoop saying I'm not high on the IQ scale, which is false. Despite my lazyness, irresponsibility, and lack of self-control, I have an above average memory to say the least and am fairly smart. For now let the operational definition of someone smart be someone who has the brain capacity to learn virtually anything if taught and exercised correctly.

With the live game coming up in a few days, I would really like to walk away with 300-400. I will be going in for $100, 50 bb.

Here are some observations I've made so far on the action the last 3 times I've been there. I would say 74% of the time there is aggressive action preflop, so I guess we can say it's a "hard" game. However, there are always spots when everyone limps and the flop is cheap. As long as I Fold AT, suited connectors, and suited randoms (q4s, J2s, etc.) as a matter of general protocol, you can easily find those spots with most of your stack in play. Theres that, and also this situation, when you're dealt AK or AQ (AJ is an immediate fold in the 3bet-4bet pots), and people start rereraising ahead of you, which is to me a clear indication of a pair of some sort, i think it's better to just let it go. Especially because I want to play over a stretch of at least several hours as opposed to trying to rush anything. And also the fact that pairs are ahead of strong ace, strong ace needs to catch, whereas the pair does not. And we all know what trying to catch results in.

As far as online, after the 5 dollar hit I took yesterday because of a hand that should've been folded preflop, im going to chill on the $16 in terms of cash games, until I hit $200. THen I could probably play at 5c/10c. They have some decent MTTs for cheap too running on certain days of the week. 1k for $1 buy in and 50c buyin for $500 gtd. In the interim however, I'm going to grind all the freerolls offered from the time i get home from work till i sleep. This way the correct decision making process not only gets consolidated consciously but unconsciously as well.

I'll keep a record on here of those results, maybe in the stories category. Would greatly appreciate critique on hand that i bust on, either in the money or not.

I mean holy shit. If you got good at this game you could win so much money...

Last edited by feudallord; Jul 29, 2014 at 12:22am.
feudallord est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Aug 02, 2014, 6:12pm   #2
balthazarr
zahltinbar

balthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond reputebalthazarr has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feudallord View Post
I read in one thread somewhere swoop saying I'm not high on the IQ scale, which is false.
how do you know? did you ever take a real IQ test? and btw I don't think you need an above average IQ level to beat small stakes poker.

Quote:
Anyway, what I need to do at this point in time is consolidate the rules to the point of unbreakable metal regardless of how I feel about them, if, that is, I want to keep playing, and winning in the long term.
good. keep in mind that most people who don't succeed at poker do so because of lack of self-control, bad BRM, etc. and not because they don't "get it". you don't want to be one of those.

Quote:
With the live game coming up in a few days, I would really like to walk away with 300-400.
wrong. this should read: "with the live game coming up in a few days, I would really like to focus on making the best possible decissions regardless of their outcome."

Quote:
However, there are always spots when everyone limps and the flop is cheap.
you don't make money by limping in multi-way pots trying to flop the world, you make money by punishing limpers with raising in position.

Quote:
Especially because I want to play over a stretch of at least several hours as opposed to trying to rush anything.
wrong. you sit down and play the game. if you need to go all-in on the second hand, then that's what you do, if you need to fold hands for an hour then that's what yo do. don't make up arbitrary rules like that.

Quote:
I'll keep a record on here of those results, maybe in the stories category. Would greatly appreciate critique on hand that i bust on, either in the money or not.
keep em coming.

Last edited by balthazarr; Aug 04, 2014 at 12:50pm. Reason: tried to put it more kindly
balthazarr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 04, 2014, 3:39pm   #3
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

Quote:
wrong. you sit down and play the game. if you need to go all-in on the second hand, then that's what you do, if you need to fold hands for an hour then that's what yo do. don't make up arbitrary rules like that.
Oh yeah? I don't agree with this, especially not after this hand.

Hand #

I bought in for 80 at 730pm, left at 930pm with $280. The game masters said more players were due as the night progressed, but that I"d have to be out for at least 2 hours before being able to buy in for the min again. So I went home, reloaded my stash, and went back for 80. In hindsight, it was Sunday in the middle of the night, a full table. This alone should mean these guys are playing to win money and not for fun. That means raises are likely to be QQ, KK, AA, not JT suited, or the like. Anyway, I've only played 4 hands up until this point, and reverted to my wrong playing style, and spewed off $30. Then I'm dealt QQ on the cutoff. Everyone folds to "gucci," a black guy who treats and regards me like KC would in person. Because he doesn't like me, I assume he was happy with this hand even though he lost $60.

Once it's folded to him, he raises the $5 straddle to $60. For a flash of an instant, my first reaction was to fold immediately. However, instead of taking a pause to think about what was going on, and the people left to act after me, I just immediately called out of annoyance. I failed to realize that it was possible he had KK or AA, more than, and even if he didn't, he had at least an AK. The point is, against the range of that raise, I am not a GOOD favorite. After the night in Brooklyn I realized that if I continue to play I want to be getting money in when im a substantial favorite , not just even money. Guessing the range correctly of the opponent does that.

So gucci raises, i call with the last 50, but then "barry greenstein," this guy who looks just like him, makes the call, and the flop is A K T rainbow. Gucci checked to barry, and barry bet like 70, and gucci folded. I blanked by the end and left. Right now my "bankroll" for the game is $200. I can go back tonight, but I'm not going to. I'll go again friday night.

HAND #

The Brooklyn game was an important game for me because I only played 3 or 4 hands in the span of 2 hours, and spent the difference of time observing the others to try and identify a SPOT that would be profitable. I started to regard a session as a rate by hour. When I went back with 80, that was another reason why i shouldve folded QQ, I had a full rotation of cards with my 50, and since im playing a different game, and my perspective of it has changed, as in I wanted to play the table for at least another hour, the QQ shouldve floated into the muck, because i would've been dealt a better spot later on, whether it was 56cc on the button, or AA UTG+1

The blonde kid who got the ace high flush against ignorant flush w.e the hell that means was there in the first half of last nights session. This kid is looser than me, playing 62 and announcing post flop that he folded bottom two pair sounding disappointed about it. This reinforces what i mentioned above.

I have 75 in chips at this time. 5-10 hands in the game, dealt QJdd on hi jack. The rock is out and there is a $5 straddle. I call, the blinds call, with blonde kid in BB. He has ~ 200 at this time

FLOP: Qh 3c 3h

I check, SB checks, blonde bets $15. I ponder, and call. Sb Folds.

Turn: 7c

I check. He goes all in. I announce, " I guess you flopped a set of 3s?" He didnt' really react, i Folded, mostly because that wasn't a good spot, much like the QQ preflop in the above hand.

HAND #

~ 10 hands later im dealt QQ in middle position with 65. I flat. Before the alarms start ringing, yes, I called, to induce a raise from the other aggressive players, which is exactly what happened. Blonde kid raises from late position 15. Two callers, and back to me. I reraise all in.

Blonde kid thinks for a moment, and calls, the others fold. I ask, "Flip?"
"Sure"

I flip QQ he flips AT.

Now, im very happy with this spot. He asked to run it twice and i declined. QQ is a heaver favorite to AT than AK, a MUCh, much better spot, especially against a player who i can accurately deduce range. When I went back, i had little to no information on the opponents because id never seen them before. I did know gucci though and didn't act on that, that he raises high preflop out of a lack of care for money or just to get me eliminated.

Full board: 6 7 2 2 J

Sorry KC, I don't remember the suits because that's so important and im dumb with a low IQ

HAND #

At 150, I am dealt AK on the button. Blonde calls 2, middle position calls 2, SB raises to 7. Folded to me, I reraise to 14. Blonde calls, the other two call.

Flop: Kc Qh Ks

All check to me. I bet 20. Blonde calls the rest fold

Turn: 5h

Blonde checks, I bet 50, he folds.

here are the factors why I shouldve folded QQ to guccis 60 raise pre flop:

-I only played 4 hands
-It was midnight, and a bit of a trek to get to the location at that time
-A full table, with at least $1000 on it
-more new faces than not, so very little information to go by
-QQ held up earlier in the day against an ace
-when im folded which is almost always, i pay attention to not only opponents, what they show down, how they bet, but also the boards that come out. leading up to that point were all low boards, and I was dealt Ax like 3 times at least and the ace never came out once. very bad spot to go all in with qq

I've broken the barrier of folding the wrong cards, once i'm able to fold hands like QQ-TT preflop, will i be a great player. How do you beat someone that can make those folds? you cant

Last edited by feudallord; Aug 04, 2014 at 5:20pm.
Old Aug 05, 2014, 10:50pm   #4
darryl
Still can't quit day job.

darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

I just read through this last post twice and I still can't figure out what you're saying.

I'll skip to the end:

Quote:
here are the factors why I shouldve folded QQ to guccis 60 raise pre flop:

-I only played 4 hands
-It was midnight, and a bit of a trek to get to the location at that time
-A full table, with at least $1000 on it
-more new faces than not, so very little information to go by
-QQ held up earlier in the day against an ace
-when im folded which is almost always, i pay attention to not only opponents, what they show down, how they bet, but also the boards that come out. leading up to that point were all low boards, and I was dealt Ax like 3 times at least and the ace never came out once. very bad spot to go all in with qq

I've broken the barrier of folding the wrong cards, once i'm able to fold hands like QQ-TT preflop, will i be a great player. How do you beat someone that can make those folds? you cant
I'm about to pull the rest of my hair out.
Sure those are all factors, but they aren't good factors.
I'm trying to pick out the dumbest factor you have and I think I'm going to have to go with a tie between "QQ held up earlier in the day against an ace" and "...and I was dealt Ax like 3 times at least and the ace never came out once. very bad spot to go all in with qq"

If there is one thing I thought we taught you (I guess it didn't stick very well or we failed to realize that you didn't learn this) it's that THE PAST CARDS DO NOT IMPACT THE PRESENT OR FUTURE CARDS!!

I'll leave the rest for someone else.

-d
darryl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2014, 7:26am   #5
PocketJokers
Thread Killer

PocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant future

You read all that? After reading his first sentence in response to Kc you would know it would be incredibly stupid and pointless.
PocketJokers est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 08, 2014, 5:35pm   #6
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

Kiss it.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:59pm   #7
MikeAK47
Unproffesional

MikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to all

Is this guy a 3 year long level?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:39pm   #8
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

No I'm a guy who wanted to get alot of money quick because of poker after dark/high stakes poker/wsop so i wouldn't have to be a wage slave and ended up losing 10 grand in the process to a game that can't beaten even if you know everything about it

i mean, it's this simple sentence that makes me feel like a turd: "You can still lose even if you make the perfect, on point, spot on, correct, EV+, whatever the fuck you want to call it, decisions." Poker is gambling, straight up. At least with games like DOTA or Starcraft your skill level always generates results on the plus side, or actually, anything that isn't gambling in life, like music, or studying.

More power to the big winners of poker, but there are so few that it's not enough to make a generalization, I understand that now. I still love the game, but I have other things to focus on. It's better for something to do for a few hours on the weekend instead of spending that same money on poison (alcohol) and being hungover the next day.

Oh, and by the way, I just got hired at a new job, they're going to pay me 18 an hour. Instead of spending 3 hours on a freeroll only to lose with 88 vs K8 to a flopped K I've been searching for a better job with my new experience, and it worked.

have a good day all.

Last edited by feudallord; Aug 12, 2014 at 10:45pm.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 4:26am   #9
PocketJokers
Thread Killer

PocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant future

And they lived happily ever after. This thread ended like a Cosby episode
PocketJokers est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2014, 4:43pm   #10
darryl
Still can't quit day job.

darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Congrats on the new job!
Now don't screw it up

Yes for you, you should be playing poker occasionally for fun, if you win, great, if you lose, well at least you have a job to finance you playing from time to time.

-d
darryl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote