THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Apr 21, 2010, 5:49pm   #1
Wino Whines
Flop Artist

Wino Whines is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Paying off at the river

With Limit, it seems as though you are always getting the odds to pay someone off when HU at the river (and getting paid off as well) even when you you are fairly certain you are beat.

Most of these time you are holding top or middle pair to a draw board and pretty certain when villain hits and/or has you out kicked. Are those rare occasions when your hand holds up enough to almost always make the call on the river?

Is it just the nature of Limit that you most often have to pay people off here?

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 21, 2010, 6:44pm   #2
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

as with everything, you have to think about his range, how much of it you can beat, and what the pot is laying you.

you're going to make a lot of math calls on the river where you have a very low win percentage but are being paid so much that the call is correct. sometimes it isn't, when it isn't fold. there isn't a rule of thumb here, you have to make a decision.

Kc
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:04pm   #3
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

You're pretty much spot-on, Wino. A leak a lot of beginning limit hold'em players have is not realizing they are getting fantastic pot odds to call on the river. If the pot is $10 and there's a $1 bet on the river, you only need to think you've got about a 10% chance to win the pot for this to be a correct call (10% > $1/$11). Welcome to limit hold'em. You won't fold a whole lot on the river which is why it's important to make a good decision on the turn because calling a turn bet is really like calling two big bets most of the time.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2010, 7:46pm   #4
Boomer2k6
TWLLM'ing My Showdowns

Boomer2k6 has a spectacular aura aboutBoomer2k6 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Boomer2k6 Send a message via MSN to Boomer2k6 Send a message via Skype™ to Boomer2k6

This is where reads on your opponent come in and how you've structured the hand before the river.

There are some players I've played against where you'd have to get a pair out of my hands with a pack of wolves but against others I'd fold TPTK on the river with confidence to a river raise.

One thing being that humans naturally are terrible at guesstimating statistical probabilities like whether something will happen 1 in 8 times or 1 in 15 becasue it's hard to visualise. It gets easier with experience and work but it's certainly not easy to start off.

Limit Holdem: Because All 4 Streets Matter!!

You've Nowhere to Hide
Nowhere to Run
You're Rage, It'll
BURN Like the Heart of the Sun!!
With Infinite Glee
It's Going to be Me
That Minbets The World!!!

Boomer2k6 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2010, 12:25am   #5
Wino Whines
Flop Artist

Wino Whines is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, the nature of Limit hold'em unfortunately.

One thing that I have done that saves me some $$ is to lead or raise/ck raise early on the flop where it is much cheaper to flush out the read for later streets because so many float overs too long and will usually 3-bet you with the goods.

And, of course when in pos. and you think you might be beat and/or know your opponent is betting, check call the river no mater what.

Limit is definitely about not missing bets and saving bets.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:27pm   #6
BamaAlum97
Fish

BamaAlum97 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have middle pair on a draw heavy board that is getting a lot of action, you are very likely beat. Your pot equity has to be quite small in this situation and would require a very large pot to make calling correct.
BamaAlum97 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2011, 11:31pm   #7
4Kings
Brunson

4Kings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaAlum97 View Post
If you have middle pair on a draw heavy board that is getting a lot of action, you are very likely beat. Your pot equity has to be quite small in this situation and would require a very large pot to make calling correct.
if your pot odds say you can call, then you should call