THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Apr 04, 2014, 9:24am   #1
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

feudallord will become famous soon enough
Default I need MTT tips

http://ossiii.wpnetwork.eu/?tournamentid=1470076

6th place. I haven't been able to sleep for hours, trying to control myself from dumping my roll on a cash table. I wanted to win. I got plenty of buy ins for similar stakes tomorrow after work, but one hand cant get out of my head.

I had 400k and the big stack 800, and he min raises. I call in SB with A4 suited, and the flop gives me a flush draw. I bet 50k blinds are 20/40k, and he shoves all in over bet. I folded, surprised? Then I get 99 UTG, raise to 100k, BB calls and the flop is KJX. He bets i have to fold. That was it. I can't get the flush draw out of my head. Should I have called? I didnt have anything to lose really

Also the past 3 or 4 of these ive found myself getting knocked out with about 40-60k blinds 1/2k with 50 players left. This last one a few hours ago though I did my best and busted the final table bubble. Im afraid I won tbe able to do it again or is it possible with the right decisions?

Ugh i have to goto work in like 2 hours. But its friday and i have plenty of buy ins for the last of the tournament series. I could really use your chats and tips during tomorrow long work day to give me a better shot in tomorrows tourny
feudallord est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 04, 2014, 5:57pm   #2
darryl
Still can't quit day job.

darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

So first hand you have 10 big blinds. There is a min raise and you call???
With 10 big blinds in a MTT you either push or fold - and that's even if there are no raises before you.

As played, you are pretty much committed with 20% of your stack in there already and should have just pushed. You may or may not have won, but that's poker. You don't want to get into these situations to begin with. Remember your position too. Later in position, it's an easier push than early in position. To call a raise though was just awful.

The next hand 99 with (I'm assuming) 8 BB left, you go all in. Nothing else to it. A lot of times you pick up the blinds, but with 8 left, that's a good thing. Sometimes you double or triple up, and often times you lose. But long term, it's easily the best possible move in that situation.
The only time you would fold pre flop is if you were later on to act and there is a raise and a couple of all ins after that. Then _maybe_ you could fold.

-d
darryl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 04, 2014, 7:19pm   #3
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

feudallord will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the response Daryl, you are absolutely right. I thought about it more and this just corroborates my theory.

I should've just folded to big stacks open preflop, because I was in the small blind anyway. This way, I would've avoided a marginal situation and could've waited for a profitable one.

The last 2 or 3 of these in the series I played I got knocked out between 60-40 players left with about 40k-100k both times. Last night I made it to the final table finally. But it seems pretty consistent. We'll see how I do tonight, but this has to be a good sign right? If I'm consistently making the money
feudallord est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2014, 1:26pm   #4
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION

Especially when you plan to fold when you flop a flush draw, which is an above average flop for that hand.

Got it?

Also when you have under 15bb you should basically be playing push or fold poker especially when antes are in play

SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2014, 10:56pm   #5
GoldfishUltraDeluxe
Grinder

GoldfishUltraDeluxe is just really niceGoldfishUltraDeluxe is just really niceGoldfishUltraDeluxe is just really niceGoldfishUltraDeluxe is just really nice
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwoopAE View Post
STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION STOP PLAYING BAD HANDS OUT OF POSITION

Especially when you plan to fold when you flop a flush draw, which is an above average flop for that hand.

Got it?

Also when you have under 15bb you should basically be playing push or fold poker especially when antes are in play
Just my 0.02: Playing mediocre hands out of position require two out of these three conditions imho.....

1. Up against fish
2. Decent stack
3. Ready to make a risky decision

The worst scenario is to bust due to 1&3, but that's poker......

EDIT: This sparked of a weird discussion where I have been accused of advocating playing trash hands out of position.
I think the main problem is that I did not explicitly write that these conditions are necessary but not in any way sufficient.

Last edited by GoldfishUltraDeluxe; Jun 30, 2014 at 4:56pm.
GoldfishUltraDeluxe est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 1:36am   #6
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishUltraDeluxe View Post
Just my 0.02: Playing mediocre hands out of position require two out of these three conditions imho.....

1. Up against fish
2. Decent stack

points 1 and 2 aren't particularly solid, but point 3 is just spacktacular.

Kc
Old May 20, 2014, 11:16am   #7
GoldfishUltraDeluxe
Grinder

GoldfishUltraDeluxe is just really niceGoldfishUltraDeluxe is just really niceGoldfishUltraDeluxe is just really niceGoldfishUltraDeluxe is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
Quote:

1. Up against fish
2. Decent stack

points 1 and 2 aren't particularly solid, but point 3 is just spacktacular.

Kc
Do you ever quantify a situation-specific play strategy? If so, I assume you can provide a much better and more detailed list. Please let us know what it looks like (and you don't have to offend anyone when posting it )

EDIT: Maybe you referred to simple implied odds and range estimates? My list is oversimplified in the sense that it does not require any math to provide a reasonable (?) conclusion.

Last edited by GoldfishUltraDeluxe; May 20, 2014 at 12:03pm.
GoldfishUltraDeluxe est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014, 1:56pm   #8
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you ever quantify a situation-specific play strategy?
...do i ever quantify a situation-specific play strategy...i'm going to guess...no?

did i win?

Quote:
If so, I assume you can provide a much better and more detailed list. Please let us know what it looks like (and you don't have to offend anyone when posting it )
i like how you ended the parenthetical clause with a little smiley face. it makes me less inclined to make you want to eat a big bowl of crushed glass.

Quote:
EDIT: Maybe you referred to simple implied odds and range estimates? My list is oversimplified in the sense that it does not require any math to provide a reasonable (?) conclusion.
maybe i did. or maybe i just think that the concept of it being time to make a risky decision is spacktacular. my god it's almost 2 o' clock, time to throw some money out the window while barbecuing these cans of butane. that will leave me just enough time to smear my genitals with peanut butter and do the helicopter in front of a starving pit bull before field testing my new design for a bulletproof parachute made entirely from cottage cheese.

i assume you are asking me for a comparable list of factors that might justify playing mediocre hands out of position. with the exception of a recent infestation of brain-eating parasites in your frontal lobe, the only instance which fulfills such criteria that comes to mind, would be if a wealthy benefactor had charged you with the task of reducing your net worth to zero, with the promise of substantial riches should you succeed. note that this is the exact plot of brewster's millions, as brought to the silver screen by richard pryor during one of his brief moments of sobriety.

Kc
Old May 23, 2014, 3:21am   #9
PocketJokers
Thread Killer

PocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant future

Buy a couple Picasso's and use them for firewood.
PocketJokers est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2014, 3:56pm   #10
PocketJokers
Thread Killer

PocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant future

Really though. How many mediocre hands out of position are profitable to play almost against anyone in any situation? Why not wait five hands and play with mediocre hands in good position? Its so stupid of a situation that lends itself to a feudalord thread.
PocketJokers est déconnecté   Reply With Quote