THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > PokerTips Lounge

Old Jun 30, 2011, 7:55pm   #11
TwoGun
Administrator

TwoGun has disabled reputation

My guess is things will stay rocky for another year or so in the poker world. After the UIGEA and the Neteller fallout, there was a good ~3-4 years of the status quo that made everyone seem to think was stable. I think things will just continually change...sometimes good (Barton bill), sometimes bad (sites going bust/getting sued).

When BF hit, I think a lot of Euros thought it was an American-only issue and well...it's not. Ozone and I kinda made a big deal about this but I think everyone thought we were just chicken littles. It's just a math thing- these sites (and it's becoming clear FTP in particular) can't lose a bunch of money to it being frozen, pay back all the players, and pay a huge DOJ fine. Just can't happen. My bet is PokerStars was always more conservative financially...they just always kept a bigger cash cushion than FTP. Plus PokerStars wasn't as reliant on US players as FTP.

Also, while I don't think PokerStars is going to go bust or anything like FTP, there's still a non-zero chance of this happening to them. They haven't settled with the DOJ fully..they only reached an agreement to give US players back their funds. The fact that FTP is so fucked up means it's probably the beginning of the end for them, though they may slither around for another few months or so.

Bottom line, only places your money are safe are the big name brands that have 0 legal issues pending- party, 888, betfair, ladbrokes, etc. Even then, no point in keeping excess money there cuz who knows what the fuck may happen...account hacking, one of those places having some random issue pop up, etc.
TwoGun est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jun 30, 2011, 10:57pm   #12
kid hustlr
Professional

kid hustlr is a splendid one to beholdkid hustlr is a splendid one to beholdkid hustlr is a splendid one to beholdkid hustlr is a splendid one to beholdkid hustlr is a splendid one to beholdkid hustlr is a splendid one to behold

well put two gun.

you talk about p stars being financially more stable/conservative and whilst i agree, this shouldnt have been an issue, poker sites are supposed to keep players deposits/accounts in a separate part of the ledger. poker sites arent supposed to use these funds for operating capital/owner incentives etc etc.

"lucky in love, unlucky at cards", you must have bought yourself a fuck by now.
kid hustlr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2011, 3:26am   #13
TwoGun
Administrator

TwoGun has disabled reputation

Looks like FTP may live another day: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,6054543.story

That's pretty much all that is known at this point. Spin on the story seems almost absurdly positive- like how the hell do they know what the DOJ will settle for? (unless they plan on injecting like $2 billion+ in the company, which seems doubtful).
TwoGun est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2011, 3:41am   #14
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

I said yesterday that FTP players are still a fav to get paid, looks like I might have been right.

If only i'd bought Kid Hustlr's 10k at 25c/dollar i'd say tilt money is back to being worth 75-80c/dollar again (it was worth 90 a month ago and 50 yesterday imo)

SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2011, 3:47am   #15
MikeAK47
Unproffesional

MikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoGun View Post
Looks like FTP may live another day: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,6054543.story

That's pretty much all that is known at this point. Spin on the story seems almost absurdly positive- like how the hell do they know what the DOJ will settle for? (unless they plan on injecting like $2 billion+ in the company, which seems doubtful).
Oh bollocks to it, I hope I get my money but TBH I don't really care, kissing lesbians are great, burgers with cheese and tomato ketchup still taste great, alcohol still works so what have we got to worry about?

As far as I am concerned, if you are are still breathing and you live in the west, then you have NOTHING to worry about.

MikeAK47 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2011, 7:43am   #16
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

Odds I can use my 500k+ FTPs? LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleU
Oh, and obviously, TWLLM, we'd all rather you just ruled with an iron fist of nittiness and made all decisions without consultation, but that goes without saying, right?
TWLLM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2011, 3:18pm   #17
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

i have a serious question.

how are you all still alive? how are you not constantly setting yourselves on fire in the bath?

Kc
Old Jul 01, 2011, 5:37pm   #18
staphros
Wolf Game LVP

staphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
i have a serious question.

how are you all still alive? how are you not constantly setting yourselves on fire in the bath?

Kc
GFDI mainly.
staphros est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 01, 2011, 10:44pm   #19
staphros
Wolf Game LVP

staphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant futurestaphros has a brilliant future

According to the WSJ the deal is not final, could take 3 weeks to close and is dependent on DOJ sorting out an agreement with FTP.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj
staphros est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:33pm   #20
rourkem
Flop Artist

rourkem is an unknown quantity at this point

Good thing they had this sorted out. No problems so far on them do this year.