THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Apr 25, 2012, 4:17pm   #1
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

feudallord will become famous soon enough
Default I won a freeroll.

I came first place in a 100 dollar prize pool free roll earlier. I won 18 dollars. Last week I came in 2nd place in a 500 dollar prize pool tournament with a 50c buy in, which is happening again later today, won 95 dollars but lost it at the cash tables betting on straights and flushes as usual. I am registered for a 200 dollar prize pool tournament in an hour.

I really want to turn this 18 dollars into something, any tips? Mini stake ring tables, or continue playing tournaments until I can win enough to play ring games effectively?

My big win at the final table in the free roll was picking up Q6 of clubs in middle position, with 112k, blinds were 30/60k. I raised it up to 75k to see a flop, a guy who I had covered went all in, and a guy who had me covered went all in. I called because of the "implied odds" if I'm correct in saying that. I flopped three 6s and was up against TT and AA. It was pretty epic. I feel like I do pretty well at final tables, usually the strategy of players at a final table is limited to shipping with the top 10 poker hands or folding, which is why I raised with Q6. It's just getting to that point that is difficult.
feudallord est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 25, 2012, 6:23pm   #2
darryl
Still can't quit day job.

darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Congrats on your recent luck.
We've given you advice in the past. It's a matter of having the discipline to follow.
Really, just follow good bankroll management. Do not deviate. Just because you are winning does not mean you are playing better. The Q6 example just shows you were extremely lucky.

-d
darryl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 6:25pm   #3
BeluA
yo dafty

BeluA has a reputation beyond reputeBeluA has a reputation beyond reputeBeluA has a reputation beyond reputeBeluA has a reputation beyond reputeBeluA has a reputation beyond reputeBeluA has a reputation beyond reputeBeluA has a reputation beyond reputeBeluA has a reputation beyond reputeBeluA has a reputation beyond reputeBeluA has a reputation beyond reputeBeluA has a reputation beyond repute

if you wanna flip.. send me a pm
BeluA est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:22pm   #4
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Congrats on your recent luck.
We've given you advice in the past. It's a matter of having the discipline to follow.
Really, just follow good bankroll management. Do not deviate. Just because you are winning does not mean you are playing better. The Q6 example just shows you were extremely lucky.

-d
I understand I was lucky Darryl. However, it just doesn't make sense to me to sit around waiting for AA or KK to be blinded out. Even if I manage to get those hands again, I'll have something like 10k left and will only have a puny double up. Does that make any sense?

I've reread KCs posts over and over again, there is a lot of math that I unfortunately do not understand, I was always bad at math.

But, I don't know if you've seen last years WSOP, but Ben Lamb in the final table raised it up with 25 I believe. He managed to pair his two on the flop, and rivered a third deuce, and got paid big for his hand because his opponent could not put him on holding a 2.

And I mean I must be playing somewhat better if I'm making the final table more and cashing in the top 3. Like I said for the most part it is difficult to reach the final table. I remember in that 500 guarnateed I mentioned I knocked out 3 players with KQ of spades, one had AJ and the other I forget, but I managed to river a Q. You have to admit there is some luck in poker especially in tournaments to win
Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:25pm   #5
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feudallord View Post
I've reread KCs posts over and over again, there is a lot of math that I unfortunately do not understand, I was always bad at math.
i can't swim. consequently i don't involve myself in activities where swimming is essential.

Quote:
And I mean I must be playing somewhat better if I'm making the final table more and cashing in the top 3.

You have to admit there is some luck in poker especially in tournaments to win
there is luck in poker. that's why your making a couple of final tables isn't a particularly strong indicator of skill over such a small sample.

Kc
Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:00pm   #6
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Unfortunately I tried coaching this guy for a session, and he doesn't listen, and his thought process is results oriented

Feudallord - use strong bankroll management, watch some cardrunners videos and buy a book by David Sklansky. Best of luck!

SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:18pm   #7
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

Haha. Yeah my bad dude I was still just learning the game, and still am, but Id only been playing for a few months.

I'll look up bankroll management on the net, if I cash in the 500 dollar tourny it would be so epic. Let you know how it goes...

Yeah I guess you're right I mean, I usually don't make it to the final table so, getting there a few times I shouldn't let it get to my head

If you don't mind, for starters maybe you could explain to me the whole ratios thing. Like when a commentator says "he's got 2:1 on his money," what exactly are they saying? I don't really understand how the ratios relate to the cards

Ive got the Sklansky books, I'll read them while I wait for the tourny to start. Not that anyone cares but, I'm graduating from university in a few weeks, I stopped depositing in my poker account for a few months after I Lost that 400 that I managed to win playing way above my stake limit for what I had. I'm going to have at least a month off before I go looking for work, and in the meantime I am going to try and turn this 18 bucks into something killer. If I can do it it would be epic...

Yo swoop are you playing the WSOP this year? I thought i read that somewhere

ANd yo KC even though I don't understand alot of the math bits in your old posts, a lot of it does make sense to me and has helped a lot

Last edited by feudallord; Apr 25, 2012 at 9:21pm.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 9:31pm   #8
acehole_76
I found Kc...............

acehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
i can't swim

Kc
really?

fucking morons every one of you. there isn't a man in this village that i wouldn't feed into an incinerator for no reason other than to get rid of them.

Kc
acehole_76 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:57pm   #9
darryl
Still can't quit day job.

darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by feudallord View Post
...it just doesn't make sense to me to sit around waiting for AA or KK to be blinded out. Even if I manage to get those hands again, I'll have something like 10k left and will only have a puny double up. Does that make any sense?
When you get below 10 big blinds, you pretty much have to push or fold. Read up on 'push botting'. Sometimes you get card dead for a few orbits and you're down to only a few big blinds. It sucks, but then eventually, you just have to push all in with a high card.

-d
darryl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:14am   #10
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

Just a little update, not that anyone cares but I like to write about it lol.

Was running good in the 500 tournament, taking down pots after seeing flops, but then picked up KQ diamonds in the SB and called a min raise, flop was Ad Kd something else, obviously i was attracted to the nut flush/straight possibility and always clouds the fact that even though I have two draws they remain to be draws and usually wont be completed. Guy I was against who had me covered had A9 and took me all in, I decided not to rebuy bc I Only have *had* 15 in there. Decided to buy in for 2 at 1c/2c, and after playing for 90 minutes was only able to win a dollar, got impatient and tilted and lost 1.20 to some guy who rivered a King when I had a Jack on the turn + a flush draw. Honestly, those stakes are a waste of time, how the hell can you win anything at those tables? Anyway, I decided to take 5 bucks and goto 10c/25c, got 77 in mid position, some guy in first raised a dollar, I decided to gamble and go all in. Much to my delight he had AQ suited, flop was KK something something something. All blanks. Took down a few more pots and now have 24.98. So far so good. Maybe I should call it a day? Play some more freerols to fullfill my poker fix. Another 100 dollar freeroll at 9 with only a 2k field. The funny thing about winning this mornings freeroll was that I actually woke up way past what my alarm was set at, I was 50 minutes late and started with 490 chips with the blinds at 150/300. I'm not sure how I managed to win the damn thing.

And yo Darryl, for sure it might make sense I guess to wait for the good hands until you REALLY have to go all in with mediocre hands. But I wanted to win the damn thing, and honestly with two people going all in, I said to myself they probably have exactly what they have, big pairs or an AK somewhere there. It's the only way to get people'es chips in the pot, when they are confident enough with their hand preflop to do so. I knew I was behind but goddamn when I saw those sixes it was a done deal. It might be a bad strategy and I don't apply it to ring games unless I have a lot of money at the table, in tournaments especially in the late stages if at least 2 people go all in, I seriously consider going all in as well with any two cards. And Q6 suited has a lot more potential than say T4.

I like how I played this hand just now in a 10 dollar freeroll:

Dealt to Variance [3h8h]
Bow2meDike: calls 30
jake022: calls 30
stwrty: calls 30
Variance: calls 30

***FLOP*** [9h 8d Jh]
Bow2meDike: checks
jake022: bets 123.75
stwrty: folds
Variance: raises 325.99
Bow2meDike: folds
Jake022: calls 202.24
***TURN***[9h 8d Jh] [Td]
jake022: checks
Variance: checks
***RIVER***[9h 8d Jh] [Td] [Qh]
jake022: bets 816.98
Variance: raises 1589.01 and is all in
jake022: calls 772.03

The power of being in position!!

Last edited by feudallord; Apr 26, 2012 at 12:35am.