THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Apr 26, 2012, 4:30am   #11
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feudallord View Post
If you don't mind, for starters maybe you could explain to me the whole ratios thing. Like when a commentator says "he's got 2:1 on his money," what exactly are they saying? I don't really understand how the ratios relate to the cards
if you're getting 2:1 on your money, then for every $1 you risk, you stand to win $2. it is also true to say that for every $1 you must contribute to the pot, $2 is already in the pot or contributed by other players, which is to say, you must contribute one third of the pot. note that this says nothing about the cards, it s a description of the pot odds not the deck odds.

in maths terms:

2:1 = 1/3 = 0.333... = 33.333...%

yes?

Quote:
Ive got the Sklansky books, I'll read them while I wait for the tourny to start.
why haven't you read them yet? why do you come to us asking for advice when you have the holy fucking grail of not being utterly shit at poker already in your possession?

Quote:
I am going to try and turn this 18 bucks into something killer. If I can do it it would be epic...
i hate young people, they use words like "epic" and "killer" and inexplicably get degrees even though they don't understand primary school maths.

Kc

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 26, 2012, 5:38am   #12
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feudallord View Post
picked up KQ diamonds in the SB and called a min raise, flop was Ad Kd something else
i like your poker stories. earlier you had a stack of 112k with blinds at 30/60k and somehow raised to 75k, here you have a deck with multiple kings of diamonds. most peoples stories are brainmeltingly dull. yours are always fantastical.

Quote:
obviously i was attracted to the nut flush/straight possibility
absolutely. also you could make trip kings of diamonds.

Quote:
and always clouds the fact that even though I have two draws they remain to be draws and usually wont be completed. Guy I was against who had me covered had A9 and took me all in, I decided not to rebuy bc I Only have *had* 15 in there. Decided to buy in for 2 at 1c/2c, and after playing for 90 minutes was only able to win a dollar, got impatient and tilted and lost 1.20 to some guy who rivered a King when I had a Jack on the turn + a flush draw.
i stand corrected. turns out some of your stories actually are brainmeltingly dull.

Quote:
Honestly, those stakes are a waste of time, how the hell can you win anything at those tables?
how the hell can you win anything at any tables?

you're like the clueless straight man in an old timey comedy routine.

Quote:
Anyway, I decided to take 5 bucks and goto 10c/25c
i can't wait to learn how this turns out.

Quote:
got 77 in mid position, some guy in first raised a dollar, I decided to gamble and go all in.
good idea.

Quote:
Much to my delight he had AQ suited
"much to my delight i was flipping instead of totally fucking crushed"

Quote:
flop was KK something something something. All blanks. Took down a few more pots and now have 24.98. So far so good. Maybe I should call it a day?
oh hell no. you're running good. you should take that money and spaff it on a horse. if you can't find a horse then invest in a claw hammer and a bag of nails, and practise hammering them into your skull.

Quote:
The funny thing about winning this mornings freeroll was that I actually woke up way past what my alarm was set at,
that is funny!

Quote:
I was 50 minutes late and started with 490 chips with the blinds at 150/300. I'm not sure how I managed to win the damn thing.
i'm not sure how you manage to avoid setting yourself on fire when you take a shower, but life would be dull without these little mysteries, don't you think?

Quote:
And yo Darryl, for sure it might make sense I guess to wait for the good hands until you REALLY have to go all in with mediocre hands.
nah. look at it this way. is it better to gamble with a weak hand while you have 2000 chips now, or in 20 minutes time when you've blinded 1000 of them away? you'd actually have to double up twice to get the same stack if you wait, which means you bust twice as often...you should probably just go all in blind every hand right from the start. your opponents wont be able to put you on a hand so they're bound to pay you off.

Quote:
ut I wanted to win the damn thing, and honestly with two people going all in, I said to myself they probably have exactly what they have, big pairs or an AK somewhere there.
almost certanly. you have the advantage here because you know exactly what hands they have, and that's the best time to put your money in.

here let me show you some math.

n/q + (48*47*46/52*51*50) = sqrt(QQ+,AKs)

which rearranges to:

n = (sqrt(QQ+,AKs) - (48*47*46/52*51*50) ) / q

n = 27 which is a cube number, therefore:

3 = (sqrt(QQ+,AKs) - (48*47*46/52*51*50) ) / q^3

= (sqrt(QQ+,AKs) - (48*47*46/52*51*50) ) / q^3

q is cubed so it cancels out with the square root to give:

3 = ( (QQ+,AKs) - (48*47*46/52*51*50) ) / q^2

rearrange again to make range the subject:

QQ+,AKs = (48*47*46/52*51*50) / 3q^2

simplifies to

QQ+,AKs = 1.7%

yeah?

Quote:
It's the only way to get people'es chips in the pot, when they are confident enough with their hand preflop to do so. I knew I was behind but goddamn when I saw those sixes it was a done deal. It might be a bad strategy and I don't apply it to ring games unless I have a lot of money at the table, in tournaments especially in the late stages if at least 2 people go all in, I seriously consider going all in as well with any two cards. And Q6 suited has a lot more potential than say T4.
i mean shit, it worked for that guy you saw on tv right?

dude, i bet if you swam in the discharge from a nuclear reaction you would totally develop superpowers.

Quote:
I like how I played this hand just now in a 10 dollar freeroll:

Dealt to Variance [3h8h]
Bow2meDike: calls 30
jake022: calls 30
stwrty: calls 30
Variance: calls 30
***FLOP*** [9h 8d Jh]
Bow2meDike: checks
jake022: bets 123.75
stwrty: folds
Variance: raises 325.99
i like it. first you overcall with total dogshit, then you raise to force people out of the pot when you have a shit draw and no fold equity vs the bettor. genius.

Quote:
Bow2meDike: folds
Jake022: calls 202.24
***TURN***[9h 8d Jh] [Td]
jake022: checks
Variance: checks
***RIVER***[9h 8d Jh] [Td] [Qh]
jake022: bets 816.98
Variance: raises 1589.01 and is all in
jake022: calls 772.03
brilliant! you hit the one card in the deck that gets you paid. unless he has a bigger flush. you should totally post that on a poker forum somewhere so that people won't think you're just some idiot loser who has to wear velcro shoes.

Quote:
The power of being in position!!
what a coincidence. i'm also a fan of deepak chopra.

Kc
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:02pm   #13
Boilermaker
Get off my lawn

Boilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post

i hate young people, they use words like "epic" and "killer" and inexplicably get degrees even though they don't understand primary school maths.

Kc
Testify!
Boilermaker est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:25pm   #14
acehole_76
I found Kc...............

acehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond reputeacehole_76 has a reputation beyond repute

i vote boilermaker

fucking morons every one of you. there isn't a man in this village that i wouldn't feed into an incinerator for no reason other than to get rid of them.

Kc
acehole_76 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:52pm   #15
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

fuedallord, it sounds like you're having fun playing poker, which is great. Try to hold onto this perspective of viewing it as entertainment and don't get too caught up in the idea that you'll ever make much money at it. It's very hard to win money playing poker in the long run so a wiser approach is just view it as something you do for inconsequential amounts of money for fun in between working. Make sense? Good luck!

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:54pm   #16
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
here let me show you some math.

n/q + (48*47*46/52*51*50) = sqrt(QQ+,AKs)

which rearranges to:

n = (sqrt(QQ+,AKs) - (48*47*46/52*51*50) ) / q

n = 27 which is a cube number, therefore:

3 = (sqrt(QQ+,AKs) - (48*47*46/52*51*50) ) / q^3

= (sqrt(QQ+,AKs) - (48*47*46/52*51*50) ) / q^3

q is cubed so it cancels out with the square root to give:

3 = ( (QQ+,AKs) - (48*47*46/52*51*50) ) / q^2

rearrange again to make range the subject:

QQ+,AKs = (48*47*46/52*51*50) / 3q^2

simplifies to

QQ+,AKs = 1.7%

yeah?
I never thought of it that way. Makes sense though.

Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:27pm   #17
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

feudallord will become famous soon enough

Check this one out:

Dealt to Variance: [Ks6s]
Variance: raises 1.25
Morseton: calls 1.25
Jelena: calls .75 (sb i think)

FLOP: 2s 7c Ts
jelena: checks
Variance: bets 2.35
jelena: raises 4.70
(after much deliberation) Variance: calls 2.35
TURN: 2s 7c Ts 6c
jelena: bets 8.50
Variance: raises 11.25 and is all in
SHOWDOWN:
Variance shows Ks 6s
jelena shows Q Q

River was a spade.

And this one is worth writing too: Reall money supposedly im running good right now

Dealt to Variance: Jc As
jelena: raises to 1.50
Variance: calls 1.50
Dealerz: calls 1.50
FLOP: 6s 5s 4s
Variance: checks (this time i decided to check my flush draw)
Dealz: bets 5.25
jelena: calls 5.25
Variance: calls 5.25
Turn: 6s 5s 4s 5d
Variance: checks
Dealerz: bets 18.14
Variance( after much deliberation): calls 18
SHOWDOWN:
variance: shows JC As
Dealerz shows 9 9

River was a spade

Last edited by feudallord; Apr 26, 2012 at 10:38pm.
feudallord est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:00am   #18
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

feudallord will become famous soon enough

Oh my bad, didn't mean to bore you guys. I'll stop writing these hands no problem. Thanks again for the advice...

Just out of curiousity though KC, ive shown nothing but respect for you, im nots ure why you continue to mock me, i love poker just like you

Last edited by feudallord; Apr 27, 2012 at 9:58am.
feudallord est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2012, 3:44pm   #19
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Pretty terrible play on the second hand. You're not getting anywhere close to the pot odds needed to chase that flush draw by calling the large bet on the turn. The board was also paired which likely means you have even fewer outs. For instance, if he didn't have the 9s and that card came on the river, you made your flush but still lost the pot. He also could have had a straight with a straight flush draw which is another way in which not every spade is good for you. Or you could have even been drawing dead to a full house.

Also, what site are you playing on? Do they not have a hand history feature? You should be able to copy and paste the exact hand histories directly from the site rather than (poorly) recounting them from memory.

You don't have to stop posting hands. You are not boring us. On the contrary, you are rather entertaining because while I know you don't want to hear it, you're pretty awful at poker. We're trying to help you but I'm gathering that helping you is a lot like slamming one's head against the wall which might help explain killcrazy's frustration towards you.

Good luck and strongly consider hitting that cashout button or dropping down significantly in stakes because you're probably a strong favorite to lose the money you have right now.

Old Apr 27, 2012, 5:42pm   #20
killcrazy
Apex Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
For instance, if he didn't have the 9s and that card came on the river, you made your flush but still lost the pot.
it doesn't matter whether he has the 9s or not, it can't be considered an out in either case.

Quote:
You don't have to stop posting hands. You are not boring us. On the contrary, you are rather entertaining because while I know you don't want to hear it, you're pretty awful at poker. We're trying to help you but I'm gathering that helping you is a lot like slamming one's head against the wall which might help explain killcrazy's frustration towards you.
i'm surprised that we give him all this good advice on a platter with a salad garnish and a choice of table wines and it doesn't even make it in the first ear let alone out the other, but you take the piss out of him and he's suddenly sherlock holmes in a tank of liquid einstein.

Kc