THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:35pm   #1
Hustlr
║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║

Hustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Hustlr Send a message via AIM to Hustlr
Default New to Whisk(e)y

I’ve been interested in branching out from only drinking beer for some time, but I didn’t know where to start. The prices make it a little harder to explore high end spirits than it was when I was starting out with craft beer. I've reached 600+ beer ratings so figured it was time to try something new.

I basically have zero experience with spirits in general. Barrel aged beers were my introduction into bourbon/islay/cognac/brandy/etc . Initially, I didn’t care for barrel aged beers, but eventually I grew to really appreciate them and enjoy them.

I asked around and had more than one person recommend Eagle Rare 10 Year Single Barrel as a good starting point. The idea was to start somewhere in the middle of the road. I’m sure that many of the higher quality and "rare" bottles would be wasted on me at this point.

Looking for suggestions....

Last edited by Hustlr; Oct 21, 2012 at 5:54pm.
Hustlr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Oct 21, 2012, 4:55pm   #2
PocketJokers
Thread Killer

PocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant future

being a cheap-ass whiskey drinker, a personal favorite of mine is Rebel Yell Kentucky Whiskey. It is pretty rich in taste and i think it is one of the highest rated bourbons in the country. I like to have it on the rocks but i will mix it for the wife too, which i think is a waste but it is pretty cheap anyways.
PocketJokers est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 6:43pm   #3
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

scotch: glenlivet 12
irish: bushmills 10
japanese: yamazaki 10
american: who the fuck cares

Kc
Old Oct 21, 2012, 6:51pm   #4
BeluA
yo dafty

BeluA has a reputation beyond reputeBeluA has a reputation beyond reputeBeluA has a reputation beyond reputeBeluA has a reputation beyond reputeBeluA has a reputation beyond reputeBeluA has a reputation beyond reputeBeluA has a reputation beyond reputeBeluA has a reputation beyond reputeBeluA has a reputation beyond reputeBeluA has a reputation beyond reputeBeluA has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to mix it, you should buy some kind of Bourbon goes along a bit better with coke.

Kc recommended Glenmorangie to me, bottle is around ~30€ and a good scotch to begin with imo
BeluA est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 7:23pm   #5
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
scotch: glenlivet 12
irish: bushmills 10
japanese: yamazaki 10
american: who the fuck cares

Kc
Agreed on the scotch (though there are so many really good scotches at that or a slightly higher price point that it is difficult to choose just one). And agreed on the Irish whisky.

No idea about Japan - in fact, I didn't even know they made whisky.

For Canadian (rye), depending on what you can get where you are, there are many many good ryes to be had. Unlike scotch I usually prefer rye mixed so I can't claim to know the subtle differences in flavours (just the obvious ones - like does it taste like canuck bathtub-water moonshine? See e.g. Silk Tassel...).

If you're looking for a reasonable starter rye that you can get for sure in the US, start with Crown and go from there. There are lots of better options than Crown but I don't know what you'll have access to locally. And I can't claim to be an expert since I generally enjoy my rye in volumes where the flavour becomes less and less discernable as the evening progresses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleU
Oh, and obviously, TWLLM, we'd all rather you just ruled with an iron fist of nittiness and made all decisions without consultation, but that goes without saying, right?
TWLLM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 8:01pm   #6
Hustlr
║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║

Hustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to behold

Right now I have a bottle of the Eagle Rare 10 that I mentioned, plus a bottle of Woodford Reserve. They are both rye bourbons and I really like them. I also found a three pack of the small "airline samples" of Glenfiddich 12, 15, and 18. I'll try those soon.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:22am   #7
Hustlr
║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║

I am drinking the Glenfiddich 12 right now. I must say that it does beat out two bourbons that I mentioned by a significant margin.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 3:20am   #8
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlr View Post
I am drinking the Glenfiddich 12 right now. I must say that it does beat out two bourbons that I mentioned by a significant margin.
well obviously.

it's very..."average" to be honest. it's the sort of thing you drink at the house of someone who doesn't drink whisky and happened to win it in a tombola.

how are you drinking it?

Kc
Old Oct 22, 2012, 4:21am   #9
Hustlr
║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
well obviously.

it's very..."average" to be honest. it's the sort of thing you drink at the house of someone who doesn't drink whisky and happened to win it in a tombola.

how are you drinking it?

Kc
I tried the Glenffdich 12, 15, and 18 tonight. Although I have little experience, my pick of the three would be the 15. I started them straight and later added a drop or two of room temperature water.

What are your thoughts on Laphroaig? Or what do you suggest as far as Islay? I am usually a fan of heavy peat/smoke, just haven't really tried that flavor in whisky form yet.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:09pm   #10
killcrazy
Apex Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlr View Post
What are your thoughts on Laphroaig? Or what do you suggest as far as Islay? I am usually a fan of heavy peat/smoke, just haven't really tried that flavor in whisky form yet.
we had a bottle of cask strength laphroaig a few months ago. surprisingly gentle despite being about 55%. more like wandering about in a summer fog than being on fire and in a bog, which rhymes, and if i hadn't just woken up i'd roll with that but i have so i won't. certainly a pleasant experience.

Kc