THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:21am   #11
Boilermaker
Get off my lawn

Boilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond reputeBoilermaker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
well obviously.

it's very..."average" to be honest. it's the sort of thing you drink at the house of someone who doesn't drink whisky and happened to win it in a tombola.

how are you drinking it?

Kc
I tried the Glenffdich 12, 15, and 18 tonight. Although I have little experience, my pick of the three would be the 15. I started them straight and later added a drop or two of room temperature water.

What are your thoughts on Laphroaig? Or what do you suggest as far as Islay? I am usually a fan of heavy peat/smoke, just haven't really tried that flavor in whisky form yet.
Lagaluvin and Ardbeg are both good in this category and generally available. Isle of Jura is good, but I prefer the other two.
Boilermaker est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Oct 22, 2012, 1:40pm   #12
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
Quote:
What are your thoughts on Laphroaig? Or what do you suggest as far as Islay? I am usually a fan of heavy peat/smoke, just haven't really tried that flavor in whisky form yet.
Lagaluvin
lagavulin. and yes, but we are starting to get pricier now

Quote:
Ardbeg
also yes. these three are the peaty smoky ones, and they are all good.

Quote:
Isle of Jura is good, but I prefer the other two.
is an island malt, not an islay malt. islay is one little island of about three thousand people who do nothing but distill whisky and admire their many species of duck.

i've never actually tried jura; it seems to consistently score badly, and there is so much fucking whisky to choose from that there's really no reason to ever try anything that scores below 80-85 regardless of the price point.

Kc
Old Oct 23, 2012, 7:21pm   #13
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

hustlr, I am far from a scotch expert but I've dabbled here and there a bit. Johnnie Walker's Blue Label was probably the one that most helped me understand how people can become obsessive about scotch. It stood out to me as pretty great in a way that made me think it would stand out the same way in a blind taste test against other lesser-rated scotches.

600+ craft beers is quite the achievement. Maybe you should start a thread for that. I got into craft beers a a year or so back and even brewed my own batch but had to back off when it was contributing to being fat (in this regard, I like scotch a lot more; fewer calories). I'm a big fan of the Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale. Let me know what else I should keep an eye out for.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 8:05pm   #14
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
hustlr, I am far from a scotch expert but I've dabbled here and there a bit. Johnnie Walker's Blue Label was probably the one that most helped me understand how people can become obsessive about scotch. It stood out to me as pretty great in a way that made me think it would stand out the same way in a blind taste test against other lesser-rated scotches.
at £150 a bottle it fucking better.

Kc
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:04pm   #15
Hustlr
║▌║█║▌║▌││║▌║

Hustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to beholdHustlr is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via ICQ to Hustlr Send a message via AIM to Hustlr

Laphroaig is on my list to try if I see one around at a bar, but I'm not spending the cash on a full bottle at this point. Scotch is definitely more expensive than American whiskey, in general That makes it a little harder to try new things.

Ozone, I still love beer but have cut back drastically for the same reason you mentioned. It's highly estrogenic and packed with useless calories. On the other hand, straight barrel aged spirits have zero carbs and a heavy dose of antioxidants.

Here are the beers that I've taken the time to rate, ordered from my best to worst if the link works properly. http://www.ratebeer.com/user/51896/ratings/1/4/

I actually think the Kentucky Bourbon Ale is pretty horrible. But that's probably because I was accustomed to drinking very heavy and dark bourbon barrel aged stouts before trying it. The Kentucky Bourbon Ale seems too light and watery to me, to support any kind of barrel aging.
Hustlr est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:53pm   #16
killcrazy
Apex Predator

Quote:
Laphroaig is on my list to try if I see one around at a bar, but I'm not spending the cash on a full bottle at this point. Scotch is definitely more expensive than American whiskey, in general That makes it a little harder to try new things.
do they not sell miniatures in america? little 5cl bottles with a couple of shots in them?

Kc
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:04am   #17
2muchMONEY
[♥] PTips

2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute2muchMONEY has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to 2muchMONEY Send a message via AIM to 2muchMONEY Send a message via Yahoo to 2muchMONEY
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
Quote:
do they not sell miniatures in america? little 5cl bottles with a couple of shots in them?

Kc
this.

Every major city should have a dedicated whiskey store where you should be able to find those.

Oh and i know this is OT but since Hustlr asked for high end spirits in general and not only whiskey, i think i should mention rum here too.
Ron Zacapa is a great rum (if not the greatest). Even the "cheapest" one, the Zacapa 15, is terrific.
Another nice rum is the pampero aniversario.

By the Way , war ich in Uruguay hob von dort mein anderes Verhalten
-forum spammer

2muchMONEY est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:28am   #18
ggnh
Disco

ggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to allggnh is a name known to all

Lagavulin is a very nice scotch, very dry and very yummy.

Johnny Walker Blue also was the one that got me into scotch, I had a friend at a bar who was giving me generous "shots" at cost because the old regular who they got it in for, stopped coming. I liked it so much I decided to get a bottle until I found out it was over $220.. kinda outta reach of a servers pay grade at the time.

The Johnny Blue is a blend, unlike the single malt that Lagvulin is, but for the/it's price imo Lagvulin is a great deal.

A good "Canadian Whiskey" is Crown Royal Reserve or Forty Creek Select

I seem to remember airports having a nice selection of smaller bottles of scotch in sample packs, as well as a sample pack of the johnny walker line, I always meant to pick up the pack because I hadn't tried the gold or green label
<Ozone> I dunno... fuckin' poker
<Kc>this one is much closer to good advice but still introduces some unnecessary shortcuts across the grass for us to cover our boots in dog shit.

Last edited by ggnh; Oct 25, 2012 at 12:32am.
ggnh est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 3:35pm   #19
PocketJokers
Thread Killer

PocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant future

I hope you put canadian whiskey in quotes because you mentioned crown royal.

Sure, it was made in canada, but my dad helped distribute the stuff in his first ever job in the 60's, and he is not a young man.

On a side note, a fun place to stock up on liquor of any kind are on cruises. i still have 3 unopened bottles i grabbed cheap from my last sailing.
PocketJokers est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2012, 3:51pm   #20
killcrazy
Apex Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketJokers View Post
I hope you put canadian whiskey in quotes because you mentioned crown royal.

Sure, it was made in canada, but my dad helped distribute the stuff in his first ever job in the 60's, and he is not a young man.
i'm not following. what does your dad driving a truck of imported goods have to do with anything?

and are we really fighting over ownership of crown?

Kc