THE FORUMS


German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Mar 26, 2015, 3:25pm   #21
killcrazy
Apex Predator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Posts: 10,307
Reputation: 8118
killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
So what happens to the tensile strength when it melts because some unforeseen circumstance prevents the proper neutron moderation?
yeah you don't want to draw too much attention to tensile strength. the whole of the previous post hinges on people not knowing what that means.

Quote:
I'm not saying this will happen or anything, if it's a newly designed plant and all of the employees are properly trained to handle as many scenarios as possible, it will be safer than pretty much any other power plant of any type.
i would argue that a plant that has been operating safely for several years would be safer. making pretty much every other power plant safer than a new, untested one...

Quote:
I guess to answer my own question, it would melt and the radioactive materials would be released and one would hope that the containment room does it's job.
the chances of helvetica scenario are generally overstated.

Quote:
Oh and KC, your calculations failed to include special relatively adjustments - not that it matters, you got your point across.
i made the appropriate relativistic adjustments, that's why we used a retired navy seal.

the faster you travel, the slower you age. when travelling faster than the speed of light you begin to age backwards. a navy seal on active duty aged, say, 32, would have unborn himself before the hammer reached the rod. the hammer itself would have turned into a tree and a lump of haematite, and the whole hideous apparatus would have been sucked into space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL
Lmfao....that was fun to read, so i guess the chances of a rod breaking and spraying the goo everywhere is about as likely as me hitting the flop sandwiched between two agressive 200+ bb stacks with 50bb stack holding j9hh...
apparently you missed the part where i explained that uranium fuel rods do not contain anything that is (i) green or (ii) goo. also J9h will hit the flop in some form approximately 45% of the time.

Quote:
Any tips on how to win $100 at 1/2 live friday? haha...
start with substantially more than $100 and leave before you lose it all.

Quote:
man though whats the terror threat like in the UK anyway? i just got a new smart phone and its basically like a small computer...pretty nuts
apparently it's "severe" meaning "there's a general election in a month".

the first, last, and only time a nutter showed up with a bomb in a scottish city screaming allahu akbar he got the shit kicked out of him. i believe he was on fire at the time too. it's a bit like when the jehovah's witnesses come round and you try to convert them to roman catholicism. they realise you're even more mental than they are and they leave you the fuck alone.

in any case, we tend not to get ourselves too excited about such things in britain. after 30 years of irish republican conflict and regular (american funded) IRA bombings on the UK mainland, the phantasm of jihadi bogeymen hiding under the bed doesn't really phase us.

we're a poor target for terrorism because we don't rattle. someone blew up a train station did they? that's a shame, are the buses still running?

Kc
__________________
"Blah blah blah KC is right" - Ozone
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:43pm   #22
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 321
Reputation: 95
feudallord will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
So what happens to the tensile strength when it melts because some unforeseen circumstance prevents the proper neutron moderation?
yeah you don't want to draw too much attention to tensile strength. the whole of the previous post hinges on people not knowing what that means.

Quote:
I'm not saying this will happen or anything, if it's a newly designed plant and all of the employees are properly trained to handle as many scenarios as possible, it will be safer than pretty much any other power plant of any type.
i would argue that a plant that has been operating safely for several years would be safer. making pretty much every other power plant safer than a new, untested one...

Quote:
I guess to answer my own question, it would melt and the radioactive materials would be released and one would hope that the containment room does it's job.
the chances of helvetica scenario are generally overstated.

Quote:
Oh and KC, your calculations failed to include special relatively adjustments - not that it matters, you got your point across.
i made the appropriate relativistic adjustments, that's why we used a retired navy seal.

the faster you travel, the slower you age. when travelling faster than the speed of light you begin to age backwards. a navy seal on active duty aged, say, 32, would have unborn himself before the hammer reached the rod. the hammer itself would have turned into a tree and a lump of haematite, and the whole hideous apparatus would have been sucked into space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL
Lmfao....that was fun to read, so i guess the chances of a rod breaking and spraying the goo everywhere is about as likely as me hitting the flop sandwiched between two agressive 200+ bb stacks with 50bb stack holding j9hh...
apparently you missed the part where i explained that uranium fuel rods do not contain anything that is (i) green or (ii) goo. also J9h will hit the flop in some form approximately 45% of the time.

Quote:
Any tips on how to win $100 at 1/2 live friday? haha...
start with substantially more than $100 and leave before you lose it all.

Quote:
man though whats the terror threat like in the UK anyway? i just got a new smart phone and its basically like a small computer...pretty nuts
apparently it's "severe" meaning "there's a general election in a month".

the first, last, and only time a nutter showed up with a bomb in a scottish city screaming allahu akbar he got the shit kicked out of him. i believe he was on fire at the time too. it's a bit like when the jehovah's witnesses come round and you try to convert them to roman catholicism. they realise you're even more mental than they are and they leave you the fuck alone.

in any case, we tend not to get ourselves too excited about such things in britain. after 30 years of irish republican conflict and regular (american funded) IRA bombings on the UK mainland, the phantasm of jihadi bogeymen hiding under the bed doesn't really phase us.

we're a poor target for terrorism because we don't rattle. someone blew up a train station did they? that's a shame, are the buses still running?

Kc
haha, just kick the crap out of that jihadi terrorist and light him on fire....

I mean, isn't that even money then? even if it hits that frequently, the action in that particular instance should've prompted me to fold. I called the straddle, 5, then the fat man, who I'd played with the previous day, raised to 15, then a huge stack 3bet to 40 and it was folded to me. Wouldn't you have folded instantly? I had about 50bb at that time and had just doubled back to where I was after waiting for almost 3 rounds for a spot. The basic trend of those several days was that after buying in for 80, i'd call 3x-4x raises in marginal position with marginal hand, and miss. Obviously I can't bluff or maneuver with 20 bb left, so all I can do is fold when I miss. But it's not like Im missing with AA or AK/AQ, missing with J9hh / KT / 33-77 etc. Generally when I finally do triple up, and sometimes quadruple up because im the short stack and people want to eliminate me, I don't win much because I've already missed several times already. Also there are often people waiting. There are two tables going at this club, with a smoke room, I really like it. And I know most of the crew now that runs the game so it's a mutual trust. the only thing left to do is start playing correctly like a boss and win.

Also, there are new developments on the plane that crashed. Can you believe one guy is responsible for the deaths of the entire flight? What kind of nut do you have to be to fly an airplane into a mountain? Also, how do they die, I guess burned alive? And you guys thought I was crazy...good lord
feudallord est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:40am   #23
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 321
Reputation: 95
feudallord will become famous soon enough
Default

Jesus christ...someone in their 40s died in the building i live in not 30 minutes ago....i dont think ill ever think about death again, i should appreciate every breath i take and every beat my heart makes
feudallord est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:52am   #24
killcrazy
Apex Predator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Posts: 10,307
Reputation: 8118
killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by feudallord View Post
haha, just kick the crap out of that jihadi terrorist and light him on fire....
ah, no. he set himself on fire. didn't stop people beating the tar out of him though.

Quote:
I mean, isn't that even money then? even if it hits that frequently, the action in that particular instance should've prompted me to fold. I called the straddle, 5, then the fat man, who I'd played with the previous day, raised to 15, then a huge stack 3bet to 40 and it was folded to me. Wouldn't you have folded instantly? I had about 50bb at that time and had just doubled back to where I was after waiting for almost 3 rounds for a spot. The basic trend of those several days was that after buying in for 80, i'd call 3x-4x raises in marginal position with marginal hand, and miss. Obviously I can't bluff or maneuver with 20 bb left, so all I can do is fold when I miss. But it's not like Im missing with AA or AK/AQ, missing with J9hh / KT / 33-77 etc. Generally when I finally do triple up, and sometimes quadruple up because im the short stack and people want to eliminate me, I don't win much because I've already missed several times already. Also there are often people waiting. There are two tables going at this club, with a smoke room, I really like it. And I know most of the crew now that runs the game so it's a mutual trust. the only thing left to do is start playing correctly like a boss and win.
i was serious when i said i wasn't going to give you poker advice.

Quote:
Also, there are new developments on the plane that crashed. Can you believe one guy is responsible for the deaths of the entire flight?
yes.

Quote:
What kind of nut do you have to be to fly an airplane into a mountain?
one with an agenda, or a serious mental illness.

Quote:
Also, how do they die, I guess burned alive?
most likely impact trauma.

Kc
__________________
"Blah blah blah KC is right" - Ozone
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:28pm   #25
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 321
Reputation: 95
feudallord will become famous soon enough
Default

Well that sucks, man. Wish you the best, wish me luck.
feudallord est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:43pm   #26
darryl
Still can't quit day job.
 
darryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 1,232
Reputation: 1220
darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!
Default

Here's the thing with power plants. Every little accident that happens in them is beaten thoroughly to death so that it doesn't happen again. All these incidences are incorporated into the new designs. Now if it's a new type of power plant i.e. plasma fusion, then there is certainly room for missing something.

Hopefully something like this never happens again:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Sa...ation_accident

No one in the U.S. has any clue this happened because everyone was still talking about how Michael Jackson died. Even though it was a month or two after.

Anyway, Feud - I wish you luck in your pursuit of getting professional help. Maybe you losing another 5 figures or so, will help.

-d
__________________
__________________
AFPP Supporter
Supporting a friendlier pokertips.org since 2008
darryl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:32pm   #27
killcrazy
Apex Predator
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Edinburgh, UK
Posts: 10,307
Reputation: 8118
killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Here's the thing with power plants. Every little accident that happens in them is beaten thoroughly to death so that it doesn't happen again. All these incidences are incorporated into the new designs. Now if it's a new type of power plant i.e. plasma fusion, then there is certainly room for missing something.
correct. however the new systems introduced to overcome the deficiency or replace the deficient part are untested...on balance, i'd rather have a plant that's been operating for ten years without incident in my town than a new one that may or may not be safe.

Quote:
Hopefully something like this never happens again:
mechanical failure is unavoidable. not sure why you're citing a hydro station going tits up though?

one thing worth pointing out. popular support for nuclear power actually increased in the west after fukushima daiichi. catastrophic failure of a modern plant in a sensible country (i.e. not the soviet union) and er...nobody died. a certain amount of environmental damage, but far from the apocalypse certain groups had predicted.

Quote:
No one in the U.S. has any clue this happened because everyone was still talking about how Michael Jackson died. Even though it was a month or two after.
i'll be honest, i missed it too. industrial accident kills 50-100 people? that sounds like a pretty common occurrence. plus in scotland we were getting pretty into the abdelbaset al megrahi thing at the time.

Kc
__________________
"Blah blah blah KC is right" - Ozone
killcrazy est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:02pm   #28
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 321
Reputation: 95
feudallord will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Here's the thing with power plants. Every little accident that happens in them is beaten thoroughly to death so that it doesn't happen again. All these incidences are incorporated into the new designs. Now if it's a new type of power plant i.e. plasma fusion, then there is certainly room for missing something.

Hopefully something like this never happens again:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Sa...ation_accident

No one in the U.S. has any clue this happened because everyone was still talking about how Michael Jackson died. Even though it was a month or two after.

Anyway, Feud - I wish you luck in your pursuit of getting professional help. Maybe you losing another 5 figures or so, will help.

-d
What do I need help on? I've lost about 15-20grand in the past 4 years, it's not a big deal. And I feel fine, so I'm not sure what help I need?

Like...you guys can think whatever you want of me...I have a salaried job, I'm moving into my own place in a brand new, stabilized studio in a few months, I have a degree in psychology....like, the only thing I can think of bad about me is that I lost at poker, and that's just because I played badly. Doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

In fact I'm really caring and endearing...sure maybe in 20 years I'll drive a plane with 100 people on board into a mountain too...but not anytime soon.

and I mean im sorry that you guys have given up on me....can't blame you having put as much time and effort as you have...but I can't give up on myself, that's what we call maladaptive behavior

Last edited by feudallord; Mar 27, 2015 at 9:12pm.
feudallord est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:02pm   #29
darryl
Still can't quit day job.
 
darryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 1,232
Reputation: 1220
darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Here's the thing with power plants. Every little accident that happens in them is beaten thoroughly to death so that it doesn't happen again. All these incidences are incorporated into the new designs. Now if it's a new type of power plant i.e. plasma fusion, then there is certainly room for missing something.
correct. however the new systems introduced to overcome the deficiency or replace the deficient part are untested...on balance, i'd rather have a plant that's been operating for ten years without incident in my town than a new one that may or may not be safe.

Quote:
Hopefully something like this never happens again:
mechanical failure is unavoidable. not sure why you're citing a hydro station going tits up though?

one thing worth pointing out. popular support for nuclear power actually increased in the west after fukushima daiichi. catastrophic failure of a modern plant in a sensible country (i.e. not the soviet union) and er...nobody died. a certain amount of environmental damage, but far from the apocalypse certain groups had predicted.

Quote:
No one in the U.S. has any clue this happened because everyone was still talking about how Michael Jackson died. Even though it was a month or two after.
i'll be honest, i missed it too. industrial accident kills 50-100 people? that sounds like a pretty common occurrence. plus in scotland we were getting pretty into the abdelbaset al megrahi thing at the time.

Kc
I guess for me not knowing enough about power plants, I'm not sure what I'd rather have, but I wouldn't have an issue with a newly designed one being near my home. Just because a plant has been running for years doesn't mean it's safe, it could certainly be dumb luck that nothing catastrophic has happened, or it could be a fundamentally safe plant. The best way to know would be to ask the workers and engineers what they think of the plant.

No reason for mentioning the hydro station other than I'm pretty shocked it wasn't world news. If it was a nuclear power plant and there was a partial melt down - even with no injuries and everything being fully contained, it would have been huge news. Hell, even if there was no melt down, but the generators failed killing many people, it would have been huge news - just because being a nuclear power plant.

I guess as a whole the Soviets haven't been the most safe when it comes to doing stuff nuclear and otherwise, - another example world's biggest dirty bomb: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyshtym_disaster

-d
__________________
__________________
AFPP Supporter
Supporting a friendlier pokertips.org since 2008
darryl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:06pm   #30
darryl
Still can't quit day job.
 
darryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: chicago area
Posts: 1,232
Reputation: 1220
darryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud ofdarryl has much to be proud of
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by feudallord View Post

What do I need help on? I've lost about 15-20grand in the past 4 years, it's not a big deal. And I feel fine, so I'm not sure what help I need?

Like...you guys can think whatever you want of me...I have a salaried job, I'm moving into my own place in a brand new, stabilized studio in a few months, I have a degree in psychology....like, the only thing I can think of bad about me is that I lost at poker, and that's just because I played badly. Doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

In fact I'm really caring and endearing...sure maybe in 20 years I'll drive a plane with 100 people on board into a mountain too...but not anytime soon.

and I mean im sorry that you guys have given up on me....can't blame you having put as much time and effort as you have...but I can't give up on myself, that's what we call maladaptive behavior
I guess if you have a salaried job and can afford to lose in poker, then there are no issues.
We have tried to help improve your game, but you keep playing the same. It's like for the first few hands you play by the book, then you get frustrated whether it's boredom or a bad beat or whatever, then you revert to doing something stupid. Sometimes it pays off and you are convinced it's a better way of playing. Sometimes you lose and then you get depressed and want help on improving your game. And the cycle repeats.

-d
__________________
__________________
AFPP Supporter
Supporting a friendlier pokertips.org since 2008
darryl est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT. The time now is 1:21am. vBulletin 3.7.4 Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.