THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Jul 30, 2014, 10:04am   #1
MikeAK47
Unproffesional

MikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to all
Default How's the game?

How's the world of online poker these days?

I haven't played seriously for years but want to start getting back into the game.

I used to play STT SNGs, I'm playing them now to build up a BR but I'd rather move on to another game at a later date, and start studying for that game now.

So... basically, which game is the most profitable at the moment?

Due to my SNG background I'm not very good at post-flop play, so I'm wondering whether it might be a good idea to brush up on that, before moving onto something like Omaha.

I have a few Omaha books:

Pot-Limit Omaha Poker
Advanced Pot-Limit Omaha: Small Ball and Short-Handed Play

Both by Jeff Hwang, I bought these a few years ago but never got around to playing seriously coz my GF whacked out a sprog.

So... Omaha?

My problem is, and this really pisses me off because I recall people saying "cash games are more profitable than STTs and have less variance", but to be honest, cash games bore me, maybe it's the lack of variance that bores me... So I don't know what to do...

MTT?

Last edited by MikeAK47; Jul 30, 2014 at 10:06am.
MikeAK47 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Jul 30, 2014, 2:53pm   #2
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

feudallord will become famous soon enough

As far as I Know it's pretty good. Since you're in Europe you can play on Pokerstars the largest poker site in the world I think
feudallord est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2014, 3:36pm   #3
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

good to see you're still alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAK47 View Post
How's the world of online poker these days?
it is what it is, it'll never be what it was.

Quote:
lem is, and this really pisses me off because I recall people saying "cash games are more profitable than STTs and have less variance"
don't know who's telling you that, but they're wrong. stts probably have the lowest variance of any game.

if you like stts, play stts.

Kc
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:37pm   #4
MikeAK47
Unproffesional

MikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to all

Yeah, I'll probably just mix STTs with some Omaha cash games, STTs are easy and I can play them on autopilot and mainly focus on the cash games.

Just don't wanna waste my time playing a mathematically solved game when I could be getting some "real" poker experience.

Out of interest, what's your main game?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 6:48pm   #5
MikeAK47
Unproffesional

Quote:
Originally Posted by feudallord View Post
As far as I Know it's pretty good. Since you're in Europe you can play on Pokerstars the largest poker site in the world I think
Playing on Full Tilt at the moment as I have 1000s of FTPs from years ago when I used to grind SNGs, I can just buy STT tickets, turn it all to cash then transfer it to Stars.

The player base at Tilt sucks these days, it used to be the only site I played on, there were loads of Americans and the games were juicy. I've noticed now even at the low levels, there are like 4-5 TAG players at each table.

Should still be able to make some cash though, I've noticed some huge ICM mistakes from these players already... also most of them 12 table so they're easy to steal from (not paying much attention).
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:55pm   #6
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAK47 View Post
Just don't wanna waste my time playing a mathematically solved game when I could be getting some "real" poker experience.
it actually doesn't matter if a game is solved when your opponents don't know the solution.

Quote:
Out of interest, what's your main game?
sports betting.

Kc
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:09am   #7
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
it actually doesn't matter if a game is solved when your opponents don't know the solution.

What are you trying to say?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 9:40am   #8
MikeAK47
Unproffesional

Quote:
Quote:

STTs are "mathematically solved", this means that when the blinds are less than 12, you play "push or fold".

You can calculate whether you should have pushed or folded in SNG Wiz (that was the best ICM calculator back in the day, not sure about now). It's not hard to learn correct ICM play (imo anyway), but after a while you feel a bit like a robot, making the same obvious choices again and again. Most players at the lower stakes, don't bother learning about ICM, even the TAGs will happily sit there blinding themselves to death. At the higher stakes ($20+), there are a lot of pros and casual players that DO know this stuff.

I recall one guy that used to play on Full Tilt, 16 tabling $20 STTs, he was not a good poker player but he was still earning a mint following "the system". So if the complexities of poker are bothering you and you want an easy way to build a BR and make cash consistently, give STTs a shot. Providing you have self-discipline and are willing to put the effort in, you'll make money.

Last edited by MikeAK47; Jul 31, 2014 at 9:52am.
MikeAK47 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:16pm   #9
killcrazy
Apex Predator

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not trying to say anything, I'm successfully saying that it doesn't matter if a game is solved when your opponents don't know the solution.

Kc
Old Jul 31, 2014, 2:53pm   #10
feudallord
Doyle Look-alike

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm not trying to say anything, I'm successfully saying that it doesn't matter if a game is solved when your opponents don't know the solution.

Kc
Doesn't matter in terms of what though? And ak-47, by STTs are we talking about sit and go's? I prefer cash games and multi table tournaments