THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > PokerTips Lounge

Old Apr 18, 2011, 7:50pm   #21
Axis of Evil
fantasy champ

Axis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond reputeAxis of Evil has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I was paraphrasing when saying alleged shooter. Maybe the media didn't say shooter and only I did but I don't recall, however what they did say was alleged. Regardless, even when batshit insane and allowed the token verdict of not guilty due to insanity, you don't go free for shooting someone in the head. With that said, I would still rather take my chances as a defendant in the U.S. judicial system than most anywhere else on the planet, provided it is not in Texas.
Axis of Evil est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Apr 18, 2011, 8:10pm   #22
TWLLM

TWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to beholdTWLLM is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis of Evil View Post
With that said, I would still rather take my chances as a defendant in the U.S. judicial system than most anywhere else on the planet, provided it is not in Texas.
Fair enough. I'm in agreement with this part if you expand the U.S. to U.S./Canada/UK - basically any English common law system with independent, non-inquisitorial judges (the only part I don't like about the UK is the lack of a written constitution, though the common law makes up for many of the procedural protections in the criminal context). I have my criticisms of US/Canadian legal systems, but I'd still prefer living under one of these than elsewhere. But just because it's the best starting point (imo) doesn't mean it can't be improved.

But the things that I like most about the system (presumption of innocence, independent/non-elected (in some cases) judges, strict rules of evidence, high burden of proof on the prosecution in criminal cases, focus on the rights of the accused in a trial and de-emphasizing the rights of the alleged 'victim', etc.) are among the things most commonly criticized by the public and the media. So just resting on one's laurels and saying 'but our system is the best' may ignore that our system has been slowly eroding in favour of popular opinion and legislative interventionism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleU
Oh, and obviously, TWLLM, we'd all rather you just ruled with an iron fist of nittiness and made all decisions without consultation, but that goes without saying, right?
TWLLM est déconnecté   Reply With Quote