THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum
Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:06am   #1
Cam
Flop Artist

Cam
Default Hand to assess

This hand came up in a home game tourney. It was 6 handed and i was 2nd in chips (around 50BB) and on the button. Folds around to MP where he calls. Folds to me and i have A J s. I raise 3.5BB and MP calls (i have him covered in chips barely. Flop comes J 8 3 rb. MP raises about 3/4 the pot, i reraise him the pot (roughly 26BB in the pot) and he pushes all in. This player likes to slowplay big hands at times, and is a fairly decent player.

Your decision?
Cam est déconnecté   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Dec 22, 2005, 5:50am   #2
the_fox31
Resident Fox

the_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud ofthe_fox31 has much to be proud of

Oof. THat was a big reraise, but I think I'd fold this one. Looks like two pair to me.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 6:05am   #3
CBone
Microdonk till ∞

CBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud ofCBone has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to CBone Send a message via Skype™ to CBone

Smells like an overpair at least, though if he is decent, he probably would not limp with Queens. My guess is that you are up against a set, definitely fold.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 7:11am   #4
Cam
Flop Artist

Cam

What i was thinking intially that he might of had something like middle pair with a strong kicker, and the large reraise was to put them at a tough decision. After the all in i still wasn't entirely sure if i was beat. I eventually folded as i couldn't get a clear read and i was second guessing myself. He showed K 7 o.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 7:19pm   #5
mattjgallo
Flop Artist

mattjgallo
Send a message via ICQ to mattjgallo Send a message via AIM to mattjgallo Send a message via MSN to mattjgallo

Wow, that is an awesome bluff by him!

When I read your first post I wasn't sure what to say. Then everyone was saying fold, fold. That got me thinking...

His MP call is pretty loose really with K7o, but it should say to you that he either has rags and wants to get lucky, he is dangerously under playing a monster hand, or he has a low PP.

When that flop comes, it's unlikely he has jacks. But putting him on 88 or 33 isn't unreasonable. But you do still have outs if he has that. If your AJ is suited with one of the cards on the board (quite likely) then you have the flush possibility aswell.

Some people I play a home game with I would call this with and others I would fold. However online I would probably be folding. I guess you gotta know who the player is really to make a decision either way.
mattjgallo est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 5:27pm   #6
catfish88
Doyle Look-alike

catfish88

Knowing the guys I play with at home games, I call this every time. You'd be surprised at how many times they call a preflop raise with rags and then push hard when they hit top pair with a weak kicker or some kind of draw. I don't think I could put him on an overpair either, because QQ or better should've raised preflop to knock out the drawing hands. I would be a little worried about 2 pair only because some of the guys I play with would call a raise with a hand like J8 or believe it or not even 83s. I think if he flopped a set he checks to you and lets you do the betting, then comes in with a reraise. My feeling would've been that:

A) he paired the board and is putting you on overcards, maybe he has a hand like KJ or A8, or

B) He is is holding 9T and is semi-bluffing with a straight draw (I see this at home games ALL the time, and online quite a bit too).

C) Stone cold bluff

Obviously the answer was C. This would be a tough call to make, but I think your biggest clue was that "this guy likes to slowplay big hands." When he comes out doing the betting on the flop I am instantly ruling out the set. True, he may have been slowplaying a big pocket pair preflop, but why not reraise your preflop raise and get the chips in the middle then, while he is still the clear favorite. The problem is, again, considering the home games I've played at, if you called him I can guarantee that the King would've come on the river. Forget the percentages, IT WILL HAPPEN!!!! Happens to me all the time...

All in all, I think you played the hand well and there is nothing wrong with folding and waiting for a better spot to put your chips in.
catfish88 est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2005, 10:44pm   #7
XA_kid
The Doyle

XA_kid is on a distinguished road

If I'm following this correctly, then you already put over half of your chips in the pot with the 26BB reraise. Don't think about it, just call. Since you say that he likes to slowplay his big hands, then there are only three hands that he can have that beat you (AA, KK, QQ) that he would push with. Any set, he will not bet out, nor would he do that with 2 pair. There are more hands that he would push here with that you beat than that have you beat. Of course, I'm pretty much just repeating what cat just wrote.

Bad fold. Next time you'll know what you should do.
Old Dec 28, 2005, 3:06am   #8
Cam
Flop Artist

Cam

The pot was 26BB, and i had put in 13BB at that stage (so just over 1/5 of my stack).