THE FORUMS

German ForumsGeneral DiscussionStrategyFrench Forum

Go Back   PokerTips.org Forums > General Discussion > PokerTips Lounge

Old Dec 08, 2011, 5:37am   #1
MikeAK47
Unproffesional

MikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to all
Default What's The Best Game To Learn At The Moment?

Haven't played for months, now I'm in college so have plenty of spare time to study/play poker.

Would like to steer clear of STTs (and I doubt anyone here would suggest that anyway ).

What game shall I put the effort into learning?

What is a good site to play at now?

Is there a great difference between the hourly rate of a NLHE player and a MTT player?

What level shall I start at? Assuming a $2000 roll.

What is the best way to learn? Books? Vids?

As soon as I've finished playing Skyrim I'm starting a poker study session, already logged/wasted 200 hours so hopefully shouldn't be long.

Sponsored Links
Don't like this ad? Register to make it go away!

Old Dec 08, 2011, 5:57am   #2
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

Short-handed PLO or NLHE/PLO heads-up games come to mind as good places to find dollars.

I've really been liking 888 Poker because of how soft the games are plus I like their software (except for the annoying pop-up CS/info stuff). You might also try PKR if soft games are your main objective because I think their graphicy software dissuades grinders from participating.

I can't speak to your hourly rate question.

As for best way to learn, I think it's hard to go wrong with CardRunners/Blue Fire Poker type sites when it really comes down to it.

Good luck, welcome back.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2011, 9:17am   #3
SwoopAE
CAPITAO

SwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond reputeSwoopAE has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

888 and Ongame are definitely the softest networks with acceptable software/liquidity at the moment

Stars has best software and games, but also toughest games.

I'd recommend learning PLO, it's hugely beatable at lower stakes and is a lot of fun to play.

Hourly rate varies depending on how good you are and stakes cash or MTTs isnt necessarily better its just a matter of skillset and personal preference

SwoopAE est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2011, 4:18pm   #4
PocketJokers
Thread Killer

PocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant future

h
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeak47 View Post
now i'm in college so have plenty of spare time to study/pick up women.

Would like to steer clear of STDs (and i doubt anyone here would suggest that anyway ).
FYP

Last edited by PocketJokers; Dec 08, 2011 at 4:21pm.
PocketJokers est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2011, 2:53am   #5
MikeAK47
Unproffesional

MikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to allMikeAK47 is a name known to all

Thanks for the replies guys, I think I'll give PLO a shot, already read a bit of strategy and it looks interesting.

People keep asking me what I want for Christmas, so are there any good Omaha books I can mention?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketJokers View Post
h
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeak47 View Post
now i'm in college so have plenty of spare time to study/pick up women.

Would like to steer clear of STDs (and i doubt anyone here would suggest that anyway ).
FYP
LOL, very good.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 3:14am   #6
Ozone
The One Who Knocks

Ozone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond reputeOzone has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Ozone

I would just watch some of Phil Galfond's PLO videos at Blue Fire Poker and not even bother with a book.

"How do I become more pro? I gotta learn math?" - fuedallord
Ozone est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2011, 5:34am   #7
MikeAK47
Unproffesional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
I would just watch some of Phil Galfond's PLO videos at Blue Fire Poker and not even bother with a book.
Is there any particular reason none of the pros at any of the training sites play full ring? I was thinking it would be beneficial to learn FR as hardly and tournaments are played 6-max.

I seem to be able to watch these videos for hours anyway, I get bored of reading fast so it's probably best I join one of those sites. I remember sitting there for 6 hours watching instructional vids on SNGs.
Old Dec 09, 2011, 4:16pm   #8
PocketJokers
Thread Killer

PocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant futurePocketJokers has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAK47 View Post
I get bored of reading fast
Hmmm... College was a bad choice
PocketJokers est déconnecté   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2011, 4:38pm   #9
killcrazy
Apex Predator

killcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond reputekillcrazy has a reputation beyond repute
This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile! This member received this PokerTips Exclamation Mark for one of a number of reasons: blogging, winning a contest, contributing great content, etc. Keep an eye out for chances to receive one of these by your profile!

Quote:
Quote:
Is there any particular reason none of the pros at any of the training sites play full ring? I was thinking it would be beneficial to learn FR as hardly and tournaments are played 6-max.
the same reason that none of them play five card stud, that isn't where the action/profitability is.

Kc
Old Dec 09, 2011, 8:43pm   #10
MikeAK47
Unproffesional

Quote:
Originally Posted by killcrazy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
the same reason that none of them play five card stud, that isn't where the action/profitability is.

Kc

Apparently so, I should have just looked in the lobby in any poker room, 80% of the games are 6-max.